Laura Vaughn / Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Professor develops catfish hybrid

The aquaculture industry is the fastest growing form of food production in the world, and almost half of the fish eaten by humans is produced by the aquaculture industry, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.One of the largest components of the aquaculture industry is farm-raised catfish, which account for 572 million pounds and $421 million of the industry annually, according to The Catfish Institute.The catfish idustry plays an important role in the economy of the Southeast, but it is facing enormous competition from overseas.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Auburn graduate honored at Berlin Airlift exhibit

A city shut off from the outside world left citizens desperate. Heroes stepped in to help and the Berlin Airlift was born. After World War II, Germany was divided between the Allied Powers and the Soviet Union.In an attempt to strangle the Allied Power's control over West Berlin, the Soviets blockaded western supply lines, leaving citizens helpless. Great Britain, France and the United States stepped in to help, airlifting supplies into West Berlin every day from 1948 - 1949. Auburn graduate and long-time resident, Johnie Crance, flew non-stop flights to provide West Berlin with supplies.Crance served as an Air Force flight engineer from 1946-1949 and 1950-1951 and completed 190 missions during the airlift.People like Crance made the Berlin Airlift one of the largest humanitarian aide efforts in history. At its peak, the airlift dropped 13,000 tons of goods per day.

News

Students willing to leave cars for bikes

College students across the country can now get a free bike with just one catch -- leave their car at home.Schools like Ripon College, located in Wisconsin, and the University of New England both offer freshmen free bikes in exchange for not bringing a car to college.According to officials from the University of New England, during the first year of the free bike program only 25 percent of freshmen brought cars to college, a dramatic decrease from the 75 percent of freshmen that brought cars the previous year.Other colleges offer free bike sharing or rental programs, or work with bike shops to give students a discount on purchasing bikes."We're seeing an explosion in bike activity," said Julian Dautremont-Smith, associate director of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.

Campus

Miss Auburn takes lead with 'Miracle Mile' Sunday

Children's Miracle Network is a non-profit organization, that, through donations, funds, medical care, research and education for children of all backgrounds with all types of diseases.They are the reason Kimberly Freind, Miss Auburn University, is hosting "The Miracle Mile.""The Miracle Mile" is a one-mile walk around Auburn's campus.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

University Theatre presents "The America Play"

The Auburn University Theatre Department is famous for tackling innovative material. Their current production, "The America Play" by Suzan-Lori Parks is no exception. TIME Magazine said of Parks' work, "Her dislocating stage devices, stark but poetic language and fiercely idiosyncratic images transform her work into something haunting and marvelous." "I hope that everyone who comes to see The America Play leaves wanting to discuss the work," said Director Heather May. "The America Play" is set in a theme park, The Great Hole of History, which was created by an African-American gravedigger known as "The Foundling Father."The play follows his journey to discover his place in history as he makes a living imitating Abraham Lincoln. "There is absolutely no "right" interpretation of this play, and I hope that all who attend are willing to set aside an obsession with finding one plot line/narrative to follow to make sense of it, and are rather willing to sit back and let the play work on them subconsciously," May said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

UPC looking to recruit member

By: Laura VaughnResponsible for some of the most popular events in Auburn, University Program Council is one of the most recognized groups on campus.Students wishing to become involved with UPC can apply to be part of the council.Applications to serve on one of the 11 committees, available on the UPC Web site, are due Friday in Student Center Suite 3130.A description of positions is also on the site."I joined UPC as a freshman because I wanted to get more involved on campus," said Alex Mileshko, director of technical productions for UPC.

News

Warm weather sparks road trips for some

Gas: $30.Hotel room in Destin: $80.Memories made during a sporadic road trip to the beach: priceless.With warmer weather, lower gas prices, and the slower pace of life in Auburn during spring semester, Auburn students are taking more road trips.Popular destinations include Panama City, Fla.; Destin, Fla.; Nashville, Tenn.; Charleston, N.C.; New Orleans; Athens, Ga.; Tuscaloosa and Lake Martin."I feel like everyone should go to Athens once before they graduate," said Gilchrist Karn, a junior in economics.

More articles »