Changes Needed with Cars, Pedestrians

There is a problem in Auburn that needs to be addressed. Whether it is with the citizens or the city, it needs to be dealt with regardless.

Two pedestrians have been struck by vehicles within the past month.

A librarian walking across College Street to the conference center at night and was struck by a truck.

There was a student this past Friday that was struck by a SUV on Magnolia Avenue.

There still seems to be some debate of whether she was in a crosswalk.

Both were life-flighted to nearby hospitals.

The problem does not lie within the jaywalking, but more so with the lack of lighting in these areas.

Several residents have commented on the severe problem the lack of lighting from the latest accident has caused.

Bouncers from the nearby bars have said they hear sirens every night. When they were contacted about this specific incident, nothing surprising was thought about it.

A pedestrian struck on campus should not be everyday news.

Magnolia Avenue has high traffic because of passing cars, and it is a connector road along with the placement of restaurants.

More lamp posts would be ideal, but even reflectors on the crosswalks would suffice.

With the bars being right up the street and little to no lighting alongside the road, it is a death trap for any pedestrian no matter if there is a crosswalk or not.

With the push for Auburn to be a pedestrian campus, the right requirements need to be met in order for it to be safe for students, faculty and staff members.

That being said, pedestrians need to know their rights and laws pertaining to them as well.

A crosswalk is there for a person to cross to cut back on the number of accidents.

They should be used.

On Magnolia, people cross freely with no mind to the vehicles passing by.

Constantly, students are jabbering away on their cell phones paying no attention to the massive machines that could take their lives in a second.

Get off your phone.

Look both ways at a designated crossing area.

Wait for a car to stop.

You should then cross when oncoming traffic has stopped both ways at the crosswalk.

Just because a car is supposed to stop does not mean it will.

There are laws in place for citizens' safety, but individuals need to look out for their own safety as well.

Change needs to happen.

People are always going to talk on their phones while walking and not look the other way.

Maybe lights can be added to help the situation and not have this situation turn into a common occurrence.

Share and discuss “Changes Needed with Cars, Pedestrians” on social media.