Oktoberfest 2014: A Saturday afternoon spent sampling beer

F0UP_LR_8827

More than 800 people came out to the 2014 Oktoberfest to try samples of beer at The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference center on Saturday, Sept. 20.
This year's Oktoberfest featured a competition of 21 homebrewers, including members of the Auburn Brew Club.
The winner of the homebrewing competition was Adris Ludlum, who submitted a cream ale batch for competition.
"I have got to thank my fiancee, she's the only reason I brewed a beer like this," Ludlum said. "(Cream ale) is a nice lawnmower style beer, something you can drink all day, everday, a tailgate beer."
Commercial breweries from around Alabama were also represented including Avondale, Good People, Back Forty and Blue Pants breweries.
Ellis Colthorpe of Gadsden, Alabama, brewery, Back Forty Beer Company, said they go to about 30 festivals similar to Oktoberfest a year.
"Our Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale won a silver medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 2010," Colthorpe said, "and we brew that Alabama local wild flower honey."
Julie Howe with the Auburn Brew Club encouraged people wanting to join the brew club to visit their website: auburnbrewclub.org.
"We get together once a month sample each other's beer and talk about it," Howe said. "Talk about technique and how to brew better."
Bobby Donahoo, also in the Auburn Brew Club, entered his chocolate milk stout beer in the completion. He started homebrewing three years ago.
"I love homebrewing," Donahoo said, "and everybody out there that doesn't homebrew, I believe they should at least get in to it once, and try it and see how it turns out."