Auburn hosts 4th annual dance marathon for a cause

(Ellen Jackson l Photographer)
(Ellen Jackson l Photographer)

Auburn University held its fourth annual Dance Marathon to raise awareness and money for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals throughout the year, according to Casey Rigdon, senior in chemical engineering and AUDM media director.
The event is a 12-hour long dance marathon. By the end of the night, participants had raised $238,035.14.
Proceeds go to Children's Hospital at Midtown Medical Center at Columbus Regional Health, according to Rigdon.
Rigdon said she has been a part of dance marathon since her freshman year and has held different positions during her involvement.
"I think it's one of those things where once you get to know the kids, you never want to leave and you would do anything for them," Rigdon said.
Rigdon said giving back to the community and being involved with the fundraiser is important because what the children go through can happen to just about anyone.
Morgan Gamble, senior in public relations and AUDM assistant director of media, said being able to see the kids and hear their stories made her feel passionate about the cause since she began participating in her sophomore year.
"Children's Miracle Network Hospital truly saved Parker's life, so to have students that are willing to give up their time and effort to support a cause means more to us than we could put into words," Crysie Grelecki, participating family member and mother of Parker Grelecki.
Parker was born with hydrocephalus and had 3 pounds of fluid in his brain with 8 millimeter of brain matter at birth, according to Crysie. She said at two days old Parker was taken to the Children's Hospital and were informed by the doctors that it would be a matter of waiting to see if Parker would develop complications. Six years later, Parker is a vibrant boy who is able to see, walk and talk.
Moneisha Cunningham, senior majoring in chemistry and participant of AUDM, said being a part of AUDM is about giving back to the community and making sure that families have what they need.
"I think that more students just need to look outside themselves and realize that it's a greater good for somebody else and what can you do for the community and what can you do to help other people," Cunningham said on how more students can become more involved with AUDM.
Gage Fenwick, sophomore in mathematics and Alpha Sigma Phi AUDM team captain, said the experience has been emotional for him because he gets to see the children and how their lives have been affected and shaped.
"It's really rewarding to be helping the kids and meeting these families and being a part of something big that affects so many lives," Fenwick said.\0x200B

Share and discuss “Auburn hosts 4th annual dance marathon for a cause” on social media.