Softball wins takes first two games of Judi Garman Classic

The winning continued for Auburn softball Thursday, March 5, this time on the west coast.

Auburn won both of their first two games in the Judi Garman classic in Fullerton, California, by scores of 8-7 and 4-1.

In game one against Long Beach State, the Tigers found themselves down 5-1 in the final frame, but together some timely hits to claw their way back.

Junior outfielder Tiffany Howard started the rally with an RBI double to make it 5-2, and Emily Carosone pulled the Tigers within one with a two-run homer.

Senior outfielder and California native Branndi Melero tied things up with a solo shot with one out, and the game would go to extra innings from there.

Long Beach State plated two runners in the top of the eighth to make it 7-5 with the Tigers coming to bat.

Pinch-hitting with a woman on second, sophomore Jenna Abbott doubled to left to bring the Tigers back within one, then Emily Carosone squared things at seven with a single.

With two on and nobody out, All-American Kasey Cooper stepped to the plate.

Cooper belted a walk-off single to give Auburn the 8-7 win, their 22nd of the year.

The Tigers would seek out their 23rd win shortly after in a matchup with Pacific.

Cooper stepped up again in game two, putting the first runs on the board for Auburn with a two-run homer in the bottom of the third.

Strong pitching from Marcy Harper kept Pacific from crossing the plate for much of the game, and Jade Rhodes secured the win for the Tigers in the bottom of the sixth with a two-RBI single.

The wins push the Tigers' school record mark to 23-1, with four games still left to play this weekend, including a matchup with coach Clint Myers’ former team Arizona State on Sunday, March 8. 

Share and discuss “Softball wins takes first two games of Judi Garman Classic” on social media.