EDITORIAL: Lack of gun control may hurt our citizens

An unfortunate fact is people commit heinous crimes. For those who are clearly guilty, is it not uncommon for one to claim their actions were  because of mental health issues. 

James Holmes, who killed 12 people and injured 70 more in a Colorado movie theater in 2012, plead not guilty because of insanity, but was still found guilty last week.

In addition, Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez killed five and injured two others in a shooting last Thursday, July 16, in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Friends and family members have already mentioned he suffered from depression.

Many people, Holmes possibly included, claim to have mental health problems in hopes of being found not guilty or attempting to obtain a lighter sentence.

In situations such as these, we strongly believe these people should stand up and take responsibility for their actions.

However, many people who harm others do have mental health issues, and have little or no problem obtaining a firearm to do so.

We cannot help but to believe this could easily be prevented.

A background check is required by most places before one may purchase a gun, unless he or she is buying from an individual. There are too many loopholes in this system and not enough regulations. While it would not account for stolen firearms, we believe some sort of psychiatric evaluation or similar method should be implemented in addition to background checks.

Background checks can only account for so much and will not necessarily recognize any sort of recent mental instability, unless one has a criminal record because of it or has seen a psychiatrist.

By requiring one to be evaluated by a mental health professional after requesting to purchase a firearm, we believe there would be a greater likelihood of recognizing the most recent mental health issues most accurately.

While guns can be dangerous, we do not think obtaining one should be made illegal, since they are also used for recreational purposes.

Mental health is where the issue lies, and to help prevent lives being lost or injuries, we must recognize this and strengthen our gun control laws. 

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL: Lack of gun control may hurt our citizens” on social media.