Rodeo time pushed back for safety precautions

The annual Alpha Psi Rodeo is reinin’ it in. 

As the April 2 event nears, Alpha Psi members are busy preparing for the added safety precautions and the headliner this year, Eli Young Band. 

“It will be out on Ingram Farms again this year,” said Justin Gibson, Alpha Psi Rodeo co-chairman. “Just to ensure that traffic flow into and out of the event is as smooth as possible.”

The biggest change made this year is the start time of the rodeo. 

“Rodeo won’t start until 1:30 p.m. this year, and the gates themselves won’t open until 11 a.m.,” said Bryan Murdock, co-chairman of Alpha Psi Rodeo. “In past years, gates and parking would open much sooner, and people would be on site for 12 plus hours.” 

Murdock said the hope is that dehydration and over-heating will be less of a concern.

“In limiting the length of time guests are on site, we are hoping to minimize these occurrences,” Murdock said. “We also encourage students to bring their own sandwiches and snacks.”

In past years, the rodeo has gained a reputation for heavy drinking, according to Opelika-Auburn News. Ambulances and emergency medics were often called to attend to unconscious guests. Gibson hopes added safety precautions will limit the amount of incidences. 

“Another concern is binge drinking,” Gibson said. “Anyone trying to take things that support binge drinking [funnels, dizzy bats] into the event site will be confiscated.”

Gibson said safety precautions are not being taken lightly. Alpha Psi Rodeo has hired a private security firm to work alongside local law enforcement “to ensure a safe environment.” 

“We are working with police and EMS services to make sure the areas are well-lit and safe,” Gibson said. “There will be more lights, and each will be numbered so it will be easier to locate people.” 

Parking changes have also been made to try and organize the flow of traffic. Organizations will still be allowed to rent charter buses, but must do so before April 2 by emailing alphapsirodeo2016@gmail.com. 

“Parking on site will be $10, cash only,” Murdock said. “Everyone inside the car must show their rodeo tickets before they are allowed to buy parking and enter the event area.” 

Rides can also be acquired through Tiger Taxi, for those not wishing to park themselves. 

Both Gibson and Murdock hope the added precautions will limit the amount of problems and create a better environment for all guests. 

“We hope these changes will make the event safer and more fun for everyone involved,” Murdock said. 

Tickets for Alpha Psi Rodeo are on sale now for $45 online at alphapsirodeo.com and at Anders Bookstore. After March 13, the price rises to $55.

Share and discuss “Rodeo time pushed back for safety precautions” on social media.