Bodie Hinton remembered as 'the person who turned the band around'

Former Marching Band Director and Professor of Music Emeritus Johnnie Vinson remembers his mentor Wilbur "Bodie" Hinton as "the person who really turned the band around and brought it into the future."

Hinton, who was the marching band director from 1956-1969 and chair of the music department until he retired in 1984, died this week at 95. During his time as director, the band experienced the largest music major enrollment of any state school, according to the University's website.

Vinson, a 1966 graduate, said Hinton hired him as assistant and associate director in 1969. He had only been out of school for three years.

"I was really young," Vinson said. "I was 25. I'm grateful for that."

Hinton was a people person, Vinson said. He spent extra time getting to know the band members at the beginning of each year.

"There were usually about 100 people in the band every year back then," Vinson said. "He would put everyone in a line and have each person say their name and their hometown. Then he'd go back to the beginning of the line and he'd repeat the information to all 100 of them. It was amazing."

Hinton wasn't just a director, Vinson said. He could play every band band instrument and was a jazz pianist in his spare time.

Most of all, according to Vinson, Hinton was a good person.

"Bodie was real concerned about things being done first-class," Vinson said. "He didn't put up with any sloppiness or misbehavior. He was a gentlemen and he expected us to be ladies and gentlemen, too."

The Hinton Award was named in his honor. Each year, the graduating senior who "best demonstrates the 'spirit and excellence' that is the Auburn University Marching Band" receives the award.

He was also the namesake for the marching band's outdoor practice field, dedicated as the Wilbur “Bodie” Hinton Field in 1986.

"I guess we all thought he would live forever," the Auburn University Alumni Band's Facebook post states. "However, 95 is a great accomplishment."

Hinton’s funeral will be Thursday, June 9, at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Auburn. The visitation is scheduled for 3 p.m. and a service will follow at 4 p.m.

Share and discuss “Bodie Hinton remembered as 'the person who turned the band around'” on social media.