Annual Christmas parades set for this week

Aubie, Christmas characters and more will visit downtown Thursday at Auburn's annual Christmas parade.

Beginning at 5 p.m., bands, cheerleaders and other participants will make their way from Ralph Brown Draughon Library on Thach Avenue toward Toomer's Corner. The parade will continue onto Tichenor Avenue then Gay Street, as it makes its way back to Thach to wrap up the route by about 5:45 p.m., according to Candace Enkeboll with the City of Auburn.

The surrounding streets, such as College Street, Magnolia Avenue at Gay Street and Thach at Gay Street will be closed, though Glenn Avenue should remain open, Enkeboll said.

The Auburn Chamber of Commerce has hosted the parade since 1964. This year, members of Auburn University's women's equestrian team will serve as grand marshals, leading nearly 80 participants.

Jennifer Fincher with the Chamber of Commerce said while it's difficult to get an accurate headcount, thousands are expected to line the parade's route.

The unveiling of the gingerbread village at The Hotel at Auburn University & Dixon Conference Center will follow shortly after the parade, Enkeboll added.

On Saturday, Opelika will be hosting its own annual parade.

The parade will kickoff in downtown Opelika at 10 a.m., and will be led by Grand Marshal Don Roberts. In addition to floats and live music, the parade will feature animals, including a camel and a kangaroo.

The coordinator of the Opelika parade, Vivian Anthony, said they are expecting around a 1,000 attendees, but said that number could change depending on weather conditions.

Anthony added the parade is a great way to bring holiday spirit to town and provides something for people of all ages.

“Everyone loves a parade,” she said.

Share and discuss “Annual Christmas parades set for this week” on social media.