Lee County Commission supports increased gas tax

The Lee County Commission passed a resolution last week supporting a proposed increase to the state gas tax.

The Association of County Commissions of Alabama has proposed a 3 cent increase to the tax for gasoline in order to pay off a $1.2 billion bond that will provide each county in Alabama with the proper funds to repave miles of roads and bridges.

“This is a temporary increase in gas and diesel fuel to fund a bond issue to do infrastructure on roads and bridges in Alabama counties and cities,” said Sonny Brasfield, director of the ACCA. “We need to take advantage of the fact that inflation works against us in road construction.”

Right now the cost for road construction is cheaper than it will ever be in the future, Brasfield said.

According to the director, it is estimated to take anywhere from 13 to 15 years to pay off the $1.2 billion bond.

“The bonds issued would have a sunset provision for the repayment of the bonds not to exceed 15 years from the passing of the bill,” Brasfield said. “There is no way for the tax to be extended without another act of the legislature.”

The bill will include content that ensures the bond money be restricted to road and bridge construction repair only. It will “prohibit the use of the bond money to build salaries, equipment purchases or any other construction besides roads and bridges.”

The regular legislative session, during which this bill will be considered, begins on Feb. 7.

If it passes, it is planned to “become effective in July of 2017 with hopes for road work to begin in March of 2018,” said Terri Reynolds, director of Public Affairs for ACCA.

“A 3 cent increase in gasoline tax could result in over 12,300 miles of road resurfacing,” she said.

The small increase in tax would cost the average driver $1–2 per month.

“This is a small investment with a long-term impact,” Reynolds said.

Share and discuss “Lee County Commission supports increased gas tax” on social media.