Former coach Tommy Tuberville eyes Alabama governor's race

Former Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville is reportedly eyeing a job outside of football after his most recent stint as Cincinnati head coach.

According to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, sources close to Tuberville said he is considering a run for Alabama governor in the 2018 election.

Tuberville confirmed to the Associated Press Tuesday afternoon that he's discussing his options with potential supporters.

He is currently awaiting the results of a poll being conducted to gauge public opinion.

Tuberville coached at Auburn from 1999-2008. Under his leadership, the Tigers had an 85-40 record — one of the most successful in Auburn history.

In 2004, the team went undefeated but didn't make it into the BCS National Championship game. They took a 2005 Sugar Bowl victory instead.

After leaving Auburn in 2008, Tuberville coached at Texas Tech and then moved on to Cincinnati.

Alabama GOP Chairwoman Terry Lathan said she had not heard from Tuberville and had not reached out to him yet, but said he could make a great candidate in the Republican race for governor.

Lathan said Tuberville's lack of political experience wouldn't hold him back. Instead, it could be an asset.

"Donald Trump moved over 16 very qualified politicians, so right now, I don't think the atmosphere has moved too far from that," Lathan said.

Lathan said they would welcome Tuberville, who just recently moved back to his home on Lake Martin, with open arms.

"Anybody who is willing to be our teammate on our mission, we welcome whoever would like to run," Lathan said. "At the end of the day, though, the voters make the decision in the primary."

While at Auburn, Tuberville was known for winning six straight games over Alabama. Tuberville's likely foray into politics would be in a state with a football divide as deep as its political divisions.

Tuberville is expected to make a decision in the coming weeks. Lathan said qualifying for the Republican primary has not yet opened but will be sometime in the fall.

Share and discuss “Former coach Tommy Tuberville eyes Alabama governor's race” on social media.