Get to know the SGA major candidates

Presidential Candidates

David Facteau

Junior in psychology

"I am excited to have the opportunity to be a candidate and potentially serve as your next SGA President. Over the last three years, I have found a love and passion for Auburn University, the student body, and the Student Government Association. I am excited to share that love and passion, along with my vision for this University with the student body. We will be on the concourse all week, and I would love to meet each and every student and discuss how we can collectively make Auburn a better place for every member of the Auburn Family."

Brock Hendon

Junior in finance

"War Eagle. My name is Brock Hendon and I'm so humbled and honored to be running to be your next SGA President. This is such a unique opportunity to share my vision for Auburn, but also a unique opportunity to continue to hear from you throughout this week. Each student at Auburn has a story, and I look forward to hearing yours. I chose to run for three main reasons: my passion to serve, my experience, and my vision. As your SGA president, I want to give you a Brock Solid experience at Auburn. In the Student Senate, I’ve served as SGA Senator At-Large, as well as a Senator for the Harbert College of Business. I have also served as in SGA as Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs, and in other organizations both on and off campus. In these experiences, I've learned how to advocate for students and I have truly developed a vision to build a solid foundation for our future. My vision is simple - enhance student success and student access. I'll work to implement dead days before final exams, continue to see the elimination of more TBAs when signing up for classes, simplify student printing on campus, create a more diverse and inclusive student involvement within SGA and around campus, and expanded suicide prevention and sexual assault prevention programs to enhance student success. Based on student feedback, I'll aim to continue to improve the football ticketing system, bring another big name restaurant to campus with a dining referendum in 2018, create drop off zones around central campus, and advocate for a student parking deck by 2020. I hope to see you this week, and remember to Brock the Vote on Feb 7th."

Jacqueline Keck

Junior in economics

"I am overjoyed to share my vision for Auburn, to get to meet you guys, hear your concerns this week. At Auburn, my character has been developed by a deepened love for this campus and its family, which strengthened my desire to serve. Because of all the things Auburn is to me, I want to leave the campus better than I found it for current and future students. Becoming your SGA President is the most tangible way for me to do that. I designed an inclusive and innovative campaign with the understanding that it takes a “we” to create change. If you say “We Can with Keck” you are saying we can improve student life and ensure student success for all."

Caleb Marshall

Senior in mathematics

"Bold, practical leadership is the hallmark of every great individual, and Caleb Marshall is no exception. Throughout his distinguished academic career, he has redefined what it means to be a leader of great character. His many unique qualities put him in a league of his own when it comes to being qualified to lead the SGA. He has bold plans for improvements that will imprint his legacy on the Student Government Association as 'Greatest of All Time.' Whether it involves innovative solutions or making the tough choices, Caleb Marshall refuses to be known as anything less than the greatest leader to ever set foot on the Auburn University campus. There are many tough challenges that face the student body over the next year, and he has the common sense, connections, morals, values, ethical principles, and genuine care and concern for the future necessary to navigate touch waters and make the choices that everyone knows he is capable of. Everyone who knows Caleb Marshall knows his practical plans to make Auburn greater, and that he will carry out these plans to the fullest of his ability. He has three main points for his plan to move Auburn forward: 'ideas, people, and leadership,' and through these true change will be wrought. On Feb. 7, vote for Caleb Marshall for SGA President, for he is truly the 'Greatest of All Time.'"

Vice Presidential Candidates

Sarah Beth Cape

Junior in finance and information systems management

"In my time in the Student Government Association Senate, I began to view the university in a different light. I learned to love legislation while serving the student body. In the spring of my sophomore year, I was asked to serve as Editor-in-Chief of the Glomerata even though I had never worked on a yearbook staff or led an organization before. This position has allowed me to grow both as a student and a leader. I have enjoyed working with many organization presidents, several university departments, and my staff to produce the 120th Glomerata. My experience leading an organization has taught me more than I could have imagined. From an early age, I was taught that when you see something that needs to be done, you do it.  Because of this, I have a passion for serving behind the scenes. I believe the role of SGA Vice President requires inspiring this initiative in others. Often students feel that their ideas are only dreams or that their issues will never be fixed. I hope to inspire others to communicate frequently with their senator so that any issue, whether little or large is addressed. In addition, as vice president, I would like to explore new options to increase representation in SGA Senate. As one of the smallest student legislative bodies in the SEC, I believe we may have room to expand representation in new ways. Auburn students have more power than they often realize; count on Cape. "

Griffin Osborne

Sophomore in finance

"During my time at Auburn I have had many ideas and concerns, but felt there was no easy way to voice them. Because of that, I want to make transparency and communication a priority during my term. I want to meet with organizations weekly, allowing them to be heard while also communicating to them the current issues SGA is dealing with. Two of my biggest concerns deal with pedestrian safety and registration. At the end of October in 2016, there were already 16 pedestrian accidents in the City of Auburn, three of which were fatal. I want to work with the City of Auburn, and the University, to better light the crosswalks on the outskirts of campus and to educate student on pedestrian rights. Driving down Magnolia, Samford, or Gay at night can be a little tricky, and I want to make that safer for students. With registration, I want to meet with each school, and the office of registrars, to see what needs to happen for every student to get in the classes they need. I understand the stress and frustration that goes along with making a schedule and have experienced first hand what it’s like to take non-major classes just to fill it up. I would love the opportunity to serve the student body and believe my passion for Auburn will make me a great leader."

Justin Smith

Junior in chemical engineering

"I am so excited to be running as a Vice Presidential candidate for our student government. This position requires exceptional, experienced leadership and someone who is committed to serving Auburn students. I believe I exemplify these qualities, and I will do my best to help us all work toward a better Auburn University."

Treasurer Candidates

Frank McEwen

Junior in finance

"My name is Frank McEwen and I’m a Junior majoring in Finance. I grew up on a farm in Chelsea, AL, where we have two thousand free range chickens and sell eggs to some of the top restaurants in the Birmingham area. My faith is very important to me and I proudly attend First Baptist Opelika. I came to my first Auburn football game when I was three so Auburn runs through my blood. Auburn has had such a powerful impact on me and I am passionate about giving back to it and serving the Auburn family as a form of gratitude."

Alex Patrick

Junior in economics

"The primary duty of the SGA Treasurer is to oversee the Finance Branch within our Student Government Association. This role contains several responsibilities - the most important being in charge of the SGA budget. As a current SGA Senator who has served on Budget and Finance hearings with additional SGA experience through my roles as AVP of Outreach Feedback and Director of Auburn Answers, I have had the privilege of invaluable exposure to SGA and its procedures, members, and advisors. This opportunity has kept me interested in growing in my involvement with the SGA Finance Branch and given me a sense of responsibility to build on the opportunities I have been given. 

I promise to represent all Auburn students to the best of my ability, whether that means designing new sources of revenue for SGA projects, pushing for meaningful changes in SGA Finance Law through the Student Senate, or taking on an entirely new idea that will benefit the student body. Specifically, I will begin with the following goals in addition to the duties already assigned to the position of SGA Treasurer:

Increase Corporate Sponsorships for SGA Programs & Initiatives:

·      The SGA Finance Branch partners with Verizon Wireless and the Balfour Ring Brand in the form of corporate sponsorships. While these two companies provide a significant revenue source to SGA, my goal is to obtain even more contracts with companies to secure greater funding for the many projects SGA promotes. By negotiating more sponsorships, less student money would be needed to fund the SGA events that benefit the student body.

Boost Financial Literacy Across Campus:

·      An astounding number of Americans are financially illiterate – a major problem I see with our generation. My goal is to address this issue by partnering with multiple financial affairs offices on campus. My plan aims to offer several forms of lessons on various financial issues students may face including: loans, employment during/after graduation, tuition assistance, and many more. I will also plan and execute financial literacy projects designed to raise awareness about the topic.

Begin the Conversation of Adjusting the Amount of Money Student Activities Receive from the Student Services Fee:

·      Student Activity Portfolios receive only $45/person (about 5%) of the Student Services Fee Auburn students pay. My goal is to design a plan that increases this amount in the form of lobbying for step-up raises over a set period. This method benefits all SAP’s by earning them more funding for their respective organizations. My plan accomplishes this without increasing the amount of the Student Services Fee that Auburn students pay – giving students more control over their money. 

If elected, I look forward to working with students and administrators to craft a plan that serves their needs in a tangible way. I have been blessed with the leadership and communication skills that would serve my fellow students through the office of SGA Treasurer, and I would be both delighted and honored to serve in the coming year."

Gabrielle Pollard

Junior in chemical engineering

"I would be a great Treasurer because I have had experience with responsibilities of treasurer in an organization. I understand budgeting, keeping records, and making sure payments are on time. I am a transfer student, so I also have experience with transition. If I am to become treasurer my goals are: maintain the general responsibilities as treasurer, help Freshmen and Transfer students learn how to transition well financially, maintain and/or increase the student financial literacy, find simpler ways to run events to save money and find more efficient ways to use the money brought into the school."

Share and discuss “Get to know the SGA major candidates” on social media.