Southeast Alabama Sickle Cell Association hosts charity golf tournament

The summer heat beamed down on golfers and club employees alike as the 13th Annual Sickle Cell Golf Tournament took place.

Seventeen amateur golfers geared up for the tournament this year, ranging from former state senators to university football coaches.

The tournament was hosted by the Southeast Alabama Sickle Cell Association, SEASCA, a nonprofit organization funded by state funds and private donations. This yearly golf tournament is used to generate funds in order to improve sickle cell research and better the treatment for over 400 clients in 10 counties in the Southeast Alabama area, SEASCA Executive Director James Arrington said.

Throughout the day, expressions of joy swept the faces of the 17 golfers who were obviously enthralled with the precisely cut and manicured green of the Auburn University Club, the picturesque nearby pond and the mixture of chirping birds and cicadas that could only be described as uniquely southern scenery.

George Clay, former state senator, was eager to golf for a good cause. Fairly confident in his golf game, Clay said he expected to score well.

“I’m semi-retired," Clay said. "I play golf about three times a week so I expect to score around my usual mid-'80s.”

Casual, competitive trash talk filled the air as golfers got into their carts and started the trek to the first hole. By 10 a.m., a breeze blew in which seemed to quell the growing exhaustion brought on by the brutal July heat.

Hopes were high as golfers started to reach the eighth hole, an ever so elusive $25,000 “hole in one” prize hole. In the tournaments 13-year history, no golfer has ever won the prize money, but the participants were exuberant and hopes were high. 

Plenty of balls were hit into a nearby pond but a hole-in-one was not achieved.

After a long morning of golfing for a cause, participants flooded into a nearby pavilion to discuss the rounds of golf but more importantly, to grab some lunch.

Scores were tallied, a winner was crowned and prizes were shelled out for those very few deemed skilled enough to place among the tournaments elite.

The turn out for the tournament was great, Arlington said.

“We have wonderful sponsors that have allowed us to continue this tournament for 13 years, and we look to improve every year,” Arlington said. 

Share and discuss “Southeast Alabama Sickle Cell Association hosts charity golf tournament ” on social media.