Auburn alumna writes SEC mascot-themed children’s book

For Susan Carothers, Auburn alumna, football has always been in her blood. So much so that it inspired her to write a children’s book about it.

Carothers said she grew up watching football with her grandfather who was a head coach at Samford University. Both of her parents graduated from Auburn, and have always encouraged her love for the sport and the school.

Through her family’s love for the Southeastern Conference, Carothers became inspired to write her book for other younger Auburn fans and cheer on her alma mater.

“Twas the Night Before Gameday” is focused around all of the SEC mascots getting ready for game day.

Carothers said she wrote this book while watching the Auburn Tiger’s 2014 season with her family.

“After watching Aubie and all the other mascots of the SEC, I started to write my book on my phone,” Carothers said. “I asked family members about the different mascots, and that is how I got my idea.”

Carothers used her marketing degree as she completed her book by sending it to three different publishers. Not long after sending it off, it was picked up.

During her time at Auburn, Carothers was involved in several organizations including Tigerettes, Cater Society, Panhellenic Philanthropy, she was a War Eagle girl and in a social sorority.

Although she always had a busy schedule, her passion for writing continued to grow.

For her book tour, Carothers said she decided to make a return to Auburn for Homecoming festivities and to host a book reading.

During her book reading on Sept. 14 at THE locAL market in downtown Auburn, she signed books and read to children decked out in orange and blue.

With Aubie in attendance, the love for Auburn football and the traditions that follow were evident.

Carothers hopes her book will show fans how great the traditions of the conference truly are, and despite each school having its own tradition, they all make up one big family — the SEC.

Share and discuss “Auburn alumna writes SEC mascot-themed children’s book” on social media.