University: Basketball allegations are 'shocking,' Person suspended without pay

Auburn associate head coach Chuck Person has been suspended without pay after federal prosecutors announced Tuesday that he is being charged in a wide-ranging corruption and bribery investigation surrounding four top-tier NCAA basketball coaches.

“This morning’s news is shocking," the University said in a statement. "We are saddened, angry and disappointed. We have suspended Coach Person without pay effective immediately. We are committed to playing by the rules, and that’s what we expect from our coaches. In the meantime, Auburn is working closely with law enforcement, and we will help them in their investigation in any way we can.”

President Steven Leath also tweeted out the statement.

Person is facing bribery, fraud and corruption charges as part of the federal criminal probe into a wide-ranging scheme across NCAA basketball that involved top coaches funneling athletes to agents and financial advisers, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

"There is a lot there," said Joon Kim, acting U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York. "Ten people have been arrested, four coaches at major, top-tier basketball programs. That is a significant number of people and conduct that affects a number of important programs. The investigation ... is ongoing.

More than ten people, including coaches, managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major sportswear company, are facing similar charges, including coaches at Southern California, Oklahoma and Arizona.

Person and others involved were arrested overnight and this morning with the help of law enforcement across the country, Kim said.

"The schools are, in a way, the victims," Kim said. "The schools are also a victim where they have hired college coaches who are taking bribes, cash bribes, from managers and advisers to direct players who are in their care to managers and advisers."

Kim said federal bribery and wire fraud statutes prohibit those who work for public institutions or institutions that receive federal funding from taking bribes.

"All of us, the public, anyone who plays in the games are victims of that type of conduct," Kim said.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “University: Basketball allegations are 'shocking,' Person suspended without pay” on social media.