Biggin presents Philadelphia artists

Auburn’s art community gathered Monday night for the opening of the "I YOU WE WHO ME" exhibit, featuring the creative talents of Adam Lovitz, Ashley Wick and Patrick Maguire. 

These three Philadelphia-based artists were invited to The Plains after being discovered at a previous show, and will have work presented in Biggin Hall until Sept. 28, 2017.

After giving the audience a chance to look around, Lovitz and Wick gathered exhibit-goers to the front of the room to explain the reasoning behind their visions for the exhibit. They also gave some insight into their individual artistic choices.

Lovitz said a lot of his inspiration came from pulling ideas of the streets off South Philadelphia. 

"I'll simply see something like an old sign that no one else wanted and use it in my next painting," Lovitz said.

He also said he incorporates nature into his artwork by going to the woods and collecting minerals from the riverbed, which is highlighted in a few of his paintings in "I YOU WE WHO ME."

After Lovitz, Wick expressed her personal perception. She said she values many of the same qualities as her fellow artist, and that she uses her understanding of children in her artwork to showcase paintings in a simple form.

“I am very interested in the phenomenon of everyday life, love, nature and how we connect with other humans,” Wick said.

As they talked, the audience heard a faint chanting of the show’s title “I YOU WE WHO ME,” which led to some puzzled looks. The artists explained how they hoped the mantra would lure people in and create a peaceful lullaby. It also served as a statement that art isn’t always one specific thing.

“Working collaboratively with other artists doesn’t just have to involve a theme or putting things up on a wall,” Wick said.

During the Q&A portion of the event, a student asked the artists how they started getting their work recognized. 

Lovitz and Wick provided several helpful tips for up-and-coming artists which included going to openings, being a part of a solid art community and having a strong studio practice. The two ended the section by expressing their gratitude for Auburn allowing them to show their work.

Share and discuss “Biggin presents Philadelphia artists” on social media.