SGA helps Auburn celebrate Hey Day across campus

Students, faculty and members of the community gathered all around Auburn’s campus to celebrate 2017's Hey Day.

Hey Day has been a tradition on Auburn’s campus since the late 1940s, when the student body united to welcome veterans returning from World War II. Since then the Auburn community has honored this day by wearing name tags and saying “hey” to everyone they pass.

The event also had food from local vendors and enjoying entertainment provided by various student groups.

This year, Hey Day was run by SGA member and Director of Hey Day, Rebekah Kennedy. Kennedy has been involved with Hey Day since her freshman year, where she assisted in handing out name tags and enjoying the atmosphere. Kennedy said this experience inspired her to take on a larger role within the event this year.

“I wanted to invest more into the program and have a hands-on role in developing the event into one that draws in all aspects of the [Auburn] family.”

Kennedy also said how Hey Day is uniquely an Auburn tradition, making it even more special.

“The heart behind Hey Day remains the same each year. It reminds us to take time and invest in the community around us and to develop meaningful relationships, even with something as simple as just saying ‘hey’.”

From early in the morning, the normally bare Greenspace became a hub for Auburn students. Volunteers handed out name tags, students played games and performers occupied the stage. 

Many students spent most their day lounging around and enjoying each other’s company. Sophomore Blaine Brown talked about how much he enjoyed the environment of this year’s Hey Day.

“It was a good time. I got free food and hung out with friends in immaculate weather,” Brown said.

Shannon Murattu, a senior at Auburn, said, “Hey Day is awesome, I come every year. I’ve always enjoyed the music, games and atmosphere.”

The volunteers for this year’s Hey Day worked throughout the day. Students were spread from the Village Dining Hall to Samford, and everywhere in between welcoming anyone who passed. 

One of the head volunteers Ellie McCoy said, “I love Hey Day because it’s a day on campus when everyone embodies the spirit of Auburn. Also, it’s great just to meet new people.”

At the close of the event, Kennedy shared the excitement she and SGA as a whole feel with the turnout. Kennedy said she is very excited and can wait to see what next year brings.

Share and discuss “SGA helps Auburn celebrate Hey Day across campus” on social media.