Kentucky buries Auburn late, Tigers fall to 2-7 in SEC

The loss is Auburn’s first of the year when shooting at least 40 percent from the field

In a road matchup at Kentucky (12-11, 4-5 SEC), Auburn women's basketball's fell victim to a late fourth quarter push from the Wildcats, falling 65-48 in Lexington. 

Three Auburn players landed in double figures, with Unique Thompson leading the pack with 12 points, shooting 66 percent. 

Auburn led early in the game and came back to lead in the third quarter, but 25 turnovers and an out-rebounding of 36-27 proved too costly for the Tigers.

“We went out there and turned the ball over for no reason,” Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. “We knew they were going to press us, we had our press offense designed, but we’ve got to make good passes. And you’ve got to want the ball.”

Auburn's Janiah McKay and Dasia Alexander led the offensive charge, amassing 11 and 10 points respectively. Auburn shot 40 percent from the field on the night, out shooting the Wildcats. However, the 25 giveaways resulted in 32 points for the Wildcat offense, with Kentucky guard Maci Morris scoring 18 points, including dropping five 3-pointers, leading the game in scoring. 

Under the basket, the Wildcats out-rebounded the Tigers 13-9, netting 18 second-chance points.

Auburn led by as many as seven in the second, putting up a 20-13 lead. During the next five minutes, the Auburn charge was stagnant, and the Wildcats mounted a huge 18-0 run to wind down the half.

A late Auburn rally and a massive half-court launch and score by Janiah McKay put the Tigers in a manageable spot, only down four at the half, 29-25.

The Tigers managed to hang in the game in the second half, heading into the fourth quarter down 42-38. 

A 13-0 run by the Wildcat offense to open the fourth put the Tigers away, outscoring Auburn 23-10 in the final quarter.

Auburn has now lost seven of their last eight games, all to SEC opponents. The loss is Auburn’s first of the year when shooting at least 40 percent from the field.

Auburn (11-10, 2-7) continues their road stretch, traveling next to College Station to take on No. 14 Texas A&M on Sunday. 

Share and discuss “Kentucky buries Auburn late, Tigers fall to 2-7 in SEC” on social media.