How to dress for the first interview

<p></p>

Dressing for your first interviews can be like dressing for a high school dance; jittery, stressful yet ultimately insignificant because what matters is not the neckties pattern or the height of high heels — but the brain’s intelligence and your character.

Now with that preachy, Pinterest-esque yapping out of the way, here are some tips on how to slay the job-floor because even if attire isn’t everything, it is an essential element for successful interviews.

Tip number one is research. Visit the Career Center and ask what they recommend you wear for the particular place you’re applying for.

Research what that company or organization states as a standard dress code for its workplace.

If you have to, scope out the workplace like a Fortnite player would their surroundings. See how the workers are dressed and then dress in in accordance for the interview.

Research the weather.

If it’s going to be hot, as it usually is in Auburn, make sure to dress comfortably, because when the sweat starts dripping and the armpits start pooling, there’s no going back, Seek light fabrics for warm weather and insulated ones for winter.

Make sure your shirts are crisp and clean. A shirt more wrinkled than a puppy pug’s cheeks will look unprofessional, and unlike the simile, not cute.

If you are completely lost and not sure what to wear at all, it’s probably best to overdress.

A classic suit will never go wrong, but be careful not to go overboard with prices, considering the average household spends $1,700 a year on clothing and footwear, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

Keep in mind, these interviews aren’t the Met Gala.

Rihanna’s not strutting the hallways in a Pope bedazzled outfit competing for your position.

So have fun while selecting suits, and walk into the place as if paparazzi were flashing you with praise.

After the interview, in the words of Rihanna, “go on and take a bow, grab your clothes and get gone.”

Share and discuss “How to dress for the first interview” on social media.