Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance Promotes Diversity

Many students struggle to find an identity when they first arrive at college. Fortunately, Auburn University serves as a home for several organizations that embrace and encourage diversity, such as the Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance.

The purpose of the Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance is to foster that diversity and use it in a positive light.

What is now the AGSA started as the Gay and Lesbian Association in 1991. Over time, the group found other students and grew until 2006 when they changed the title to the Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance.

AGSA President and Director of Event Planning Frank Crisona describes the organization as a safe haven to discuss issues that effect the lives of both gay and straight people.

"It is really just a safe place where students can come and discuss problems, ranging from family problems to the coming out process," Crisona said. "We also discuss discrimination, religion and sometimes just politics."

The AGSA has four annual events, two each semester. This October it will host Coming Out Day, the organization's biggest event, where members hand out T-shirts and help students who are struggling to find the courage they need to come out.

Also, in November the AGSA acknowledges the Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day honoring transgender individuals who have been discriminated against or killed for embracing their diversity.

In the Spring the Gay-Straight Alliance holds a National Day of Silence. Katie Rowe, director of social affairs, said that members are asked to be silent on this day to represent the struggle of coming out.

"Gay people are silenced everyday because they fear they can't come out." Rowe said. "Our goal is to improve campus' perceptions and create a safe zone; a better community for gays and their allies."

For the first time this spring, the organization put on a drag show titled "What a Drag." The AGSA hopes to make it an annual event in the future.

Students interested in attending meetings are strongly encouraged to do so. The regular meetings are held in the Student Center on Wednesday evenings at 7 p.m.

"At the meetings, everyone tends to know everyone else," Rowe said. "We are a very social group; we typically all go out to dinner after our meetings."

The Gay-Straight Alliance never wants to turn away any of its members or deter anyone from joining, but there are many misconceptions about the organization.

"We are not a dating service," said Rowe. "Also, people think that you have to be gay to attend a meeting, or that you're gay if you show up, and that is not true."

The AGSA is also an organization determined to promote gay-straight awareness on Auburn's campus.

Logan Plew, a junior in Supply Chain Management, said it is great to have such a diverse campus.

"There is a organization for everything," Plew said. "Auburn does a great job of representing all groups of people."

Share and discuss “Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance Promotes Diversity” on social media.