2009 Softball Season Wrap-Up

The Auburn softball team completed its season May 17 with a 5-0 loss to Boston University in the NCAA Atlanta Softball Regional. "Obviously this is not how we wanted the day to go, but you have to credit Boston," Auburn head coach Tina Deese said.

"We played hard, just not hard enough," said senior Myesha Finney. "Like any season we had our goals, many of which we accomplished, especially in the beginning, but toward the end we came up short."

The Tigers ended their season with a 30-29 overall record after going 1-2 in the Atlanta Regional. "This past season had a lot of ups and downs, but overall we all grew as players, and I'm looking forward to having a large part of the team back again next year," said pitcher Anna Thompson. This season Thompson became the Auburn career strikeout leader with 269 strikeouts.

The team suffered two injuries in their pitching rotation early in the season as well as a few other player injuries. "Having such injuries causes a lot of problems because of the number of players you're left with, and I'm sure it makes coaching difficult," said infielder Megan Mitchell.

The team began its summer workouts May 27. Workouts during the summer are four times a week and consist of running and lifting weights. "It's not as intense as in the fall, but it gets us to where we need to be," Finney said.

The team has high hopes for this summer. "This summer we are working on speed and really maintaining our power that we built up this year," Thompson said.

The Tigers will return to the field in February for another season of intense SEC softball.

Share and discuss “2009 Softball Season Wrap-Up” on social media.