State Must Take Stand Against Gun Violence

The Violence Policy Center recently released its 2006 analysis of the highest per capita firearm-related deaths nationwide.

Alabama ranked second.

Of our great 50 states, Alabama fell only behind Louisiana for the most gun deaths with nearly 17 fatalities from firearms per 100,000 people.

The study is simple and produced clear results. States with strict gun laws and in turn a lower gun ownership rate, registered fewer gun-related deaths. Inversely, states with lax restrictions had higher percentages of gun owners and the accompanying larger amount of deaths by firearm.

But if the problem is so clear, if there's a simple "if A and B, then C" formula, why is Alabama registering such violent numbers? Or any state for that matter.

The analysis reveals that a whopping 57 plus percent of households in the state are also home to firearms.

Surely we've located the problem.

If that many people are able to obtain firearms, there are going to be people acquiring them who lack the requisite training to properly and responsibly handle a firearm.

An obvious solution here is to strengthen gun laws in the state to prohibit those with misguided intentions or a lack of training from easily obtaining weapons.

But no matter the restrictions on acquiring firearms, firearms are always going to be out there. In turn, untrained, irresponsible people are always going to get their hands and that trigger finger around one.

Therein lies the true danger.

The University just finished a Basic Handgun Safety course with Lee County sheriffs. Instruction included how to obtain official licensing to possess a firearm, how to clean and store them and, of course, how to properly handle and fire them.

With many accidental firearm deaths each year, education and training such as that through Auburn Outreach are programs we feel are key in reducing the state's horrific firearm deaths per capita rate.

To our recollection, no more than a couple gun-related deaths have occurred in Auburn during the last few years, and we believe the mindset of gun education for prevention has had its effect there.

We believe acknowledging that untrained people will undoubtedly have access to firearms is the first step, and education on how to properly handle them is the next, at least until the state is able to open its eyes to the numbers and realize we're in dire need of heftier restrictions on obtaining them.

Share and discuss “State Must Take Stand Against Gun Violence” on social media.