Auburn Study Reveals Green's Most Lucrative Crop

Despite the economic woes that have plagued industry in Alabama, it's the greens that give Alabama a good amount of green.

Deacue Fields, associate professor of the Auburn College of Agriculture, collected data for the college's economic analysis of the green industry, revealing that greens pump $2.89 billion into Alabama's economy every year.

"This industry in growth has outpaced every other crop in Alabama," Fields said. "It makes up for cotton and corn. It's not as large as poultry and livestock, but it's larger in terms of cash receipts. It makes up almost 45 percent of all crops."

Fields and the College of Agriculture conducted another survey in 2003, which showed 38 percent of Alabama's total crop sales came from horticulture. Compare that to 43 percent in the latest study, along with a 52 percent increase in profit from $1.9 billion.

"The findings of this study were things we had been looking for a long time because this industry has struggled for notoriety," Fields said. "The data based upon the 2007 earnings showed that the industry didn't do a whole lot. Today it's starting to take off, though, as is the case with other industries. The economy definitely affected agriculture."

One of the hallmarks of the green industry is versatility.

Because those who plant this particular brand of horticulture can do so in a greenhouse, they are free to experiment with different varieties of plant and are not bound by the seasons.

"Crops like corn or cotton have a definite marker," Fields said. "When you take them to market the price is going to be set. These are entrepreneurs who are diversifying or creating heterogeneity, getting gain for products based on their differences. They're different than most farmers you'll see."

According to the study, the state has 97 turfgrass and sod operations. This is 28 more than in 2003, giving 1,862 people jobs and representing $150 million in total output impact compared to 1,334 workers and $100 million in 2003.

The consistent cash flow from the green industry is further testament to the multipurpose nature of these crops.

"Mention agriculture and people are going to think of corn, soybeans and cotton," Fields said. "In cities located near the Birmingham area they couldn't water their crops because of droughts, which can cause your business to lose half a million dollars in a day, but this is one flexible commodity."

Despite this optimism, however, the study ended in 2007. This means that the figures don't take into account the U.S.' recent financial troubles. Fields does, however, predict the industry will recover from its losses.

"The industry grew with the economy and the housing boom, so no doubt we will see some contraction, because there isn't an industry that hasn't been hurt in this economy," Fields said. "This study does put greens in the minds of legislators and the general public and is important to the state economy in terms of revenue and jobs created."

Share and discuss “Auburn Study Reveals Green's Most Lucrative Crop” on social media.