COSAM Draws Diversity in Students

As the rain poured last Friday afternoon, high school students from across the state filed into the Student Center Ballroom.

The College of Sciences and Mathematics' Minority High School Visitation Day created an opportunity for juniors and seniors interested in Auburn to learn about specific curriculums.

"COSAM is committed to diversity," said Velma Richardson, associate dean for the COSAM Office Diversity and Multicultural Affairs. "We have a very rigorous science curriculum, but at the same time we have some fantastic students. We are trying to identify students who may have not been identified in the usual methods of recruiting, so this is a great opportunity for everyone."

The event was due in part to the efforts of COSAM Dean Stew Schneller to promote multiculturalism within the department.

The program began with a welcome address by Lawrence Wit, the college's associate dean for student affairs.

"I think it's a good turnout for an event that is part of a bigger plan that Dean Schneller has had almost since he got here, to increase the diversity of our college," Wit said. "That's done through several different fronts of which this is just one. There are a lot of other things that follow this. It's exciting to see these folks come out from all over the place."

Richardson provided her introduction, followed by the first session. This session featured a recruitment talk, information regarding financial options and scholarship options.

An integral component to the operation of the event were the COSAM students who volunteered.

"We have the top people on campus working on this in wonderful cooperation to teach about what COSAM offers as far as academic support and the various programs," Richardson said. "We have student support and various organizations represented to tell students how they can become engaged."

The second session began with a discussion on academic and pre-professional programs.

Speakers included Minority Programs Coordinator of the COSAM Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs Sherre Padgett, Director of Pre-health Professions Beverley Childress, and academic adviser of COSAM Krysta Diehl.

"We have a lot of high school students who are very curious and are asking a lot of questions," said Nina Thomas, sophomore in pre-pharmacy working at the event. "People have the idea that if you have a big university there's not a lot of help, and we're here to show that there is help out there."

The third session featured speakers who discussed student support programs and student organizations. The event concluded with a panel discussion with representatives from groups such as the Association of Women in Science, the National Pharmaceutical Association and Alpha Epsilon Delta.

"This event is about giving students an opportunity to gain exposure to the wonderful programs COSAM offers," Richardson said. "We hope that they'll come away with the idea that Auburn is where they can find their place."

Share and discuss “COSAM Draws Diversity in Students” on social media.