'Sounds of Auburn' Fill Coliseum

Auburn's music department showcased the talents of its ensembles at the ninth annual Sounds of Auburn concert Thursday at the Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum.

"We present a sampling of the music that is performed by each of these ensembles throughout the year," said Sara Lynn Baird, professor and chair of the music department.

The program began with a football game-style presentation from the marching band.

The group, directed by Corey Spurlin, performed again later in the night.

"Certain audience members may be drawn to the concert by their familiarity with a specific ensemble," Spurlin said. "They will get exposure to a variety of other musical mediums that may appeal to them,"

Spurlin said, "The hope is that they will take advantage of these other cultural opportunities on our campus."

The evening continued with performances from various choirs and bands, a mix of traditional and contemporary pieces.

"The concert instrumental ensembles, Symphonic Band, Jazz Ensemble and Steel Band, performed inspiring selections from their fall concerts," Baird said. "Several choral ensembles also exhibited their excellent skills with repertoire ranging from the eclectic, difficult and beautiful 'Sounding Sea' by Eric Barnum to spiritual and gospel arrangements and the feisty 'Steam Heat.'"

Baird conducted a performance from the Symphonic Band and Chamber Choir of "God of our Fathers," arranged by C.T. Smith.

The Auburn University Singers, directed by Dale Farmer, added choreography to the night of music with their performances of "Lift up Your Eyes," by Ken Medema and "Steam Heat," arranged by Mac Huff.

"(Sounds of Auburn) is a great opportunity for some of the ensembles to come together to represent the music department in one performance," Farmer said.

The Gospel Choir danced and clapped in the stands to "Betelehemu,'" by Barrington Brooks.

The group added several instruments including a saxophone, electric guitar, drums and two keyboards to their second performance, "I Told the Storm," by Greg O'Quin.

William and Rosephanye Powell conducted the Gospel Choir's performances.

Share and discuss “'Sounds of Auburn' Fill Coliseum” on social media.