AU Runner Earns National Honors

The Auburn Tigers Football team (7-5, 3-5 SEC) was one catch away from spoiling it all for the No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide (12-0, 8-0 SEC).

The Tigers looked to spoil a potential perfect season and any aspirations for a national title for the Tide, but came up short, 21-26, in the 74th annual Iron Bowl.

The Crimson Tide defense broke up a pass from senior quarterback Chris Todd in the end zone to secure the win.

"We played with a lot of heart and we fought all the way down to the end," said Auburn head coach Gene Chizik during Friday's press conference. "We have built a great foundation for what we are going to do in the future, and I am just very proud of our kids."

The Tigers got off to a quick 14-0 start after sophomore running back Eric Smith caught a 1-yard pass from Todd on a drive that started after Auburn recovered an onside kick.

The Tide answered, scoring 14 straight points to end the half with the score tied at 14.

Auburn scored on its first drive of the second half when Todd pump faked and hit sophomore wide receiver Darvin Adams for a 72-yard touchdown pass to go up 21-14.

"We knew the corner blitz was coming and Coach Malzahn called the right play at the right time," Adams said.

The 72-yard pass play was the second longest in Auburn history against Alabama and Adams' longest reception of his career.

Adams finished with a career-high 138 yards, which marked his third 100-yard receiving game of the season.

Alabama would not go away and closed the scoring gap to one with two field goals from senior kicker Leigh Tiffin.

The Tigers held a 21-20 lead late into the fourth quarter, but were unable to stop junior quarterback Greg McElroy, who led the Tide down the field, throwing a 4-yard touchdown pass to senior running back Roy Upchurch to go up 26-21.

Alabama went for a two-point conversion and failed, but the touchdown alone proved to be enough for the win.

Chizik addressed the team after the loss and said the future is bright and to not walk away with heads down.

The Tigers out rushed the Tide 151-73 and held Heisman hopeful sophomore running back Mark Ingram to just 30 yards on 16 carries.

Ingram was out for most of the game-winning drive due to a hip pointer.

"They played eight-man fronts," said Alabama head coach Nick Saban in the press conference after Friday's game. "They were in a lot of double-sync. I think when people play in that, they anticipate. We probably weren't as prepared for it as we should have been."

The 151 rushing yards were the most given up by the Crimson Tide all season.

Auburn had 119 rushing yards in the first quarter, which was more than six of Alabama's previous seven SEC opponents had for an entire game.

Senior running back Ben Tate rushed for 45 yards, making his season total 1,254 yards, moving past Bo Jackson for the eighth-best single-season total in school history.

Todd completed 15 of 25 passes for 181 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

"We tried to cause confusion for the offense and we did that a few times and were able to hit the quarterback," said Alabama senior linebacker Eryk Anders.

True freshman Jonathan Evans earned his first career start at linebacker in place of injured sophomore linebacker Eltoro Freeman.

"I couldn't be prouder of Jonathan Evans," Chizik said. "Let me tell you something. There weren't any backups after that."

Evans became the fifth true freshman to start for Auburn this season, joining defensive back Daren Bates, wide receiver Emory Blake, running back Onterio McCalebb and offensive lineman John Sullen.

The Tiger defense held Alabama scoreless in the first quarter, only three yards rushing and did not allow a first down until 2:23 was left in the quarter.

"We don't know who we're playing or in what bowl we're playing, but we'll continue to work hard with coach Kevin Yoxall and all the other coaches," said senior defensive end Antonio Coleman.

Auburn accepted a bid Tuesday to play in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, 2010 against an opponent from the Big Ten.

Share and discuss “AU Runner Earns National Honors” on social media.