Females Take Over Theater

A shortage in male actors has left the next Auburn theater production solely to the ladies.

Monica Bland, senior in stage management and director of "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing," adapted the play herself from Judy Blume's book.

"I sat down last Christmas and turned it into a play," Bland said. "When I put in a request to the faculty, they came back and said 'yes.'"

The faculty also recommended Bland do the play as her senior project.

"No males auditioned for the roles," said Fred Paul, junior in theater production and the stage manager for the play. "So women have to play the male roles."

The play is based on a children's book about Peter Hatcher, a 9-year-old boy who has a 3-year-old brother named Fudge. Fudge is forever annoying his big brother and bringing more trouble into his life.

"Fudge has a birthday party and Peter is annoyed with all of Fudge's slobbering friends running around," Bland said. "Especially when Fudge swallows Peter's pet turtle."

Lane Vines, senior in English, said she remembers reading the Judy Blume books as a child.

"I'd like to see the books I read as a kid come to life," Vines said.

Six women play all the male roles.

"It's interesting that women can pull it off," Bland said. "In my opinion, women are more able to play the younger boys than the male actors are."

The women play roles that range from boys who are 3 years old to men who are 65 years old.

"These actresses are accustomed to playing the roles of young maidens or young innocent lovers," Bland said. "Now we see them rolling around on the floor as 3-year-old boys."

Mallory Hammond, senior in theater performance, plays Fudge's friend, Ralph.

"I have a lot more freedom to be more impolite and wilder with this part," Hammond said.

Paul said this was the first time no males have auditioned for an Auburn production and women have had to take all the roles. Paul is the only male involved in the play.

"One difference there is in being a cast of all women is that we'll gather around and talk about our days and our emotions before we practice,"

Hammond said. "It makes Fred, our stage manager, so uncomfortable sometimes."

Amanda Monell, sophomore in musical theater, said she's used to playing the young ingenue.

"It's a blast playing a boy's role," Monell said. "This is nothing like I've ever done before."

Monell plays the part of the main character, Peter.

Hammond noted the physical difference in playing a younger role.

"I'm playing a character without fully developed motor skills," Hammond said.

Bland said the actresses have to step beyond comfort levels to play the parts.

"Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing," will run March 8-10 in the Black Box Theater at Telfair Pete.

Performances begin at 7:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Females Take Over Theater” on social media.