'Mercury Man' Brought To Justice

He darts into classrooms and distracts tours.

His naked, silver body attracting the eye of all who see him.

Particularly the police officers who arrested him on Auburn's campus Friday afternoon.

"I can confirm on April 23, Friday, at 12:02 a.m. we arrested a William Hudson," said Capt. Tom Stofer of the Auburn Police Department. "(We) arrested him and charged him with public lewdness, public intoxication and resisting arrest."

Hudson was taken to the Lee County Detention Center after his arrest, Stofer said.

Phi Delta Theta Chapter President Chris Mills denied rumors that the streaking stunt is a tradition that kicks off the fraternity spring party.

"He was not streaking," Mills said, "he had an article of clothing on."

This spring's Mercury Man wore silver paint, a silver winged bike helmet and a jockstrap.

While winging his way across campus he darted into James McKelly's noon Survey of American Literature II class in the Haley Center.

"I was just talking to another girl in my class and I looked up and there was a naked silver guy leaning over a desk," said Brittnee Handley, senior in English, and student in the class. "I just thought it was some stupid fraternity stunt, to be honest."

Mercury Man was accompanied by another man with a video camera who was recording the stunt, said Dale Stinson, senior in English, who was also in the class.

Stinson said the streaker seemed really out of breath and mentioned that he thought the classroom was really hot.

Stinson said Mecury Man was not in the room for more than a few minutes, and, soon after, students by the window saw him being arrested on the Concourse between the Haley Center and the Student Center.

Courtni Ward, sophomore in international business and Spanish, and her tour group of approximately 15 prospective students also got an eyeful of Mercury Man.

"When we were on top of Haley, one of the parents pointed out that the streaker was running across the Concourse and there was a guy following him on a bike videotaping him," Ward said. "My first instinct was to get them away, because I didn't want anything bad to influence their decision."

However, in addition to the topless tomfoolery, the group also received a lesson in campus safety.

As Ward was trying to hustle her group away from the nudity, Hudson was arrested.

Mills refused to elaborate because he said the issue hasn't been straightened out with the Interfraternity Council.

Share and discuss “'Mercury Man' Brought To Justice” on social media.