People Of The Plains: Melnicks Have House Full Of Love

Blake and Micah Melnick are offering support to the approximately 120 residents of Lee County who can fit all their possessions in a single trash bag.

Their non-profit organization, BigHouse, aims to provide clothing and extracurricular activities to Lee County's foster children.

The Melnicks started BigHouse after seeing the difficulties Micah's parents experienced providing for their three foster daughters.

"We saw the need," Blake said. "And we saw the solution. And we knew that there needed to be an organization that connected those two."

While right now BigHouse is not much more than a two-story house in Opelika where foster parents can get clothes for their children, the Melnicks hope it will one day offer sports, music, tutoring and dance lessons to foster children.

"BigHouse wants to put a face to the needs of foster families," Blake said.

BigHouse has placed a lot of hope in winning a grant through the Pepsi Refresh Project.

People can vote for the organization once a day at www.pepsirefresheverything.com.

If the program is in the top 10 at the end of April it will be awarded a $25,000 grant.

"We were trying to bridge that gap between people in the community who wanted to help and didn't know how and foster families who needed help and didn't have anybody to ask," Micah said.

Share and discuss “People Of The Plains: Melnicks Have House Full Of Love” on social media.