Ala. Small Towns and Downtowns Kickoff

Local clergy, members of city council and other Auburn residents gathered at Toomer's Corner Friday at 8 a.m. Friday to celebrate, pray and drink coffee together. The public meeting established 2010 as the Year of Alabama Small Towns and Downtowns, the seventh annual Year of Alabama initiative.

The Year of ... campaign began in 2004 as a joint venture between the State of Alabama Tourism Department and the office of Gov. Bob Riley to promote tourism and foster cultural awareness in the state. Previous years have included Alabama gardens, arts, food, outdoors, sports and history.

Mayor Bill Ham, Jr. was on hand to greet citizens and to introduce the blessing conducted by the three representatives of Auburn's churches:

Rev. Libba Stinson, President of the Ministerial Association of Auburn Grace United Methodist, Rev. Monsignor William Skoneki, Pastor of St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church and Bishop Nolan Torbert of the True Deliverance Holiness Tabernacle.

"Without question, downtowns mean so much to so many of us," said Bill Ham, Jr., Mayor of Auburn. "I'm just one of the fortunate ones who was able to grow up here and spend a lot of time downtown."

Carl Morgan, assistant planning director for Auburn, is the head of the YOASTD Steering Committee. He is working to organize the various events and additions to the city that are part of the campaign. These include a new community calendar on the city website and walking tours of the Auburn downtown area.

Morgan is also planning a speaker series, produced by long time residents, which will be recorded for the state archives and distributed to local libraries. In November, the city plans to place a new historical marker drafted by Ralph Draughon Jr. in the Auburn downtown area, a ceremony that will coincide with Auburn University's homecoming events in 2010.

Marilyn Stamps attended the meeting to represent the Alabama Tourism Dept. and the Governor's office. Stamps said that all 215 cities in the state participating in the initiative would be receiving a new historical marker.

"I am extremely excited about the Year of Alabama Small Towns and Downtowns, because, first of all, I am from a small town," said Stamps.

"There's nothing like the fellowship of people you find in a small town. If you are blessed to have a beautiful downtown like Auburn has ... you have something to be especially proud of."

Share and discuss “Ala. Small Towns and Downtowns Kickoff” on social media.