Letter to the Editor: Pedestrians

Dear Editor,

I am writing to express my concern over dangerous activities displayed by some of our Auburn students, relative to their walking/biking activities in and around this wonderful campus. We have recently redesigned the Auburn University campus to become a more informal, user friendly "walking campus" with many plazas, walking malls, and concourses. This redesign has had many good points, however it does have one serious drawback.

Today (07 JUL 10), I almost ran over a young female Auburn student who was obliviously on her cell phone while crossing the street, a street appropriately named War Eagle Way (near Dormitory Drive). I am specifically speaking of that portion of War Eagle Way running from behind the back of the Harrison School of Pharmacy to just behind loading dock of Cary Hall. This area is a STREET and not a CONCOURSE. Thankfully, I did not hit the young lady, but I shudder to think what would have happened if I had injured or even killed her! She could possibly have died on "War Eagle Way," a scenario that would have irrevocably ruined my interpretation of our wonderful university's battle cry, "WAR EAGLE."

Students, PLEASE use our campus crosswalks appropriately and responsibly. Look both ways. Be respectful of other pedestrians and drivers. Don't walk out in traffic.

Be kind to one another.

WAR EAGLE!

Charles M. Hendrix, DVM, PhD

Professor, Veterinary Medicine

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Pedestrians” on social media.