Tomayto, Tomahto: Either Way, Only One Will Win

The tomatoes are ripe and so is the competition. Mater haters need not apply -- tomato lovers are ready to squash the opposition at this year's Waverly Tomato Showdown on Aug. 7 from noon to 5 p.m.

For the past two years, tomato growers have come together at the showdown to compete for the title of best tomato. The event, sponsored by Sims Foods (makers of Wickles Pickles), involves a panel of judges who judge tomatoes on appearance, taste, texture and overall enjoyment.

Andy Sims, vice president of Sims Foods, said the competition started among friends.

"Waverly Tomato Showdown began as a friendly in-house rivalry between us at the Wickles office," Andy Sims said. "As we laid out the rules for the first event, we had friends and neighbors ask if they could enter, of which we were more than happy to oblige."

Will Sims, secretary and treasurer of Sims Foods, added that the showdown created a common meeting ground for tomato lovers.

"We were all just growing tomatoes, talking our tomatoes up to each other, and we just decided we'd have a competition 'cause we were all talking about how good our tomatoes were," Will Sims said. "Our goal was to get people interested and get people to grow tomatoes 'cause we love them."

Once held at a private residence, the competition has now grown to need a slightly larger venue. For its third year, the Waverly Tomato Showdown will take place at Standard Deluxe printing shop off Old Highway 280, which has printed shirts for the event.

"It used to be them and their friends and family," Standard Deluxe owner Scott Peek said. "And then friends of friends started coming, and now it is more public. It's grown to where we need a bigger place to do it."

Will Sims said judges and contestants are usually local.

"We have a panel of judges that includes different chefs, friends and tomato lovers," Sims said. "They're all qualified tomato tasters."

Judging will begin at 2 p.m., and each category will be scored on a 1-10 scale, with overall enjoyment counting twice.

"The panel of judges cuts up the tomato, tastes it and marks their scores on a sheet," Peek said.

Will Sims added that in the first year about 20 people entered their tomatoes, and last year, judges saw about 30.

"You bring your best tomato, the best tomato wins, and there is no second or third place," he said. "If you win, there's a trophy you get to take home for the year."

The trophy, known as the "Glass Tomato," will be awarded at the end of the day. However, the tomato showdown is not all visitors can expect.

Guests can also look forward to live music from Channing Wilson of Chattanooga, Tenn. Following the showdown, Standard Deluxe will continue to host live music performances from Joey Kneiser and Friends and special guest Duquette Johnston, which will continue through the evening.

"We all just sit around, listen to music and eat sandwiches," Sims said. "Everyone just brings their kids and plays and has fun."

Sandwiches and other foods will be available at the showdown's annual BLT bar.

"The bar will feature local favorites like Zeigler bacon and Bama mayo, as well as artisanal cheeses, balsamic vinegars, salts, and a wide array of breads and lettuce greens," Andy Sims said.

In addition to food and music, Andy Sims said guests will be able to partake in yard games and shop at the farmers market.

"We will provide several bocce ball sets and encourage others to bring their own yard games," he said. "We plan to offer a small farmers market so that everyone will be able to purchase delicious tomatoes and other produce."

For those who are willing to show off their tomatoes in the competition, e-mail info@simsfoods.com by Aug. 4.

As for the future of the showdown, will the competition continue to grow along with its tomatoes?

"Waverly is a small and close-knit community that rallies for this sort of neighborly event," Andy Sims said. "We hope and feel that the Waverly Tomato Showdown will continue to bring the fine folks of our area together, as well as draw awareness to our wonderful town and its citizens."

Will Sims added that though the competition may be growing to a wider audience, the ultimate goal remains the same.

"It's more of a fun thing than anything," he said. "We just want to have fun with it and see where it goes."

Share and discuss “Tomayto, Tomahto: Either Way, Only One Will Win” on social media.