Auburn looking to return to winning ways

The Auburn Tigers (7-10, 0-3 SEC) will look to break a three-game losing streak against Billy Donovan and the Florida Gators (13-4, 2-1 SEC) as the Tigers return to the Arena for a two-game home stand.

"It'll be good to get back in the Auburn Arena on Thursday in front of our fans and have them cheering for us," said head coach Tony Barbee. "It'll be fun, but we've got to break the seal. We have to get our first win in conference play to get over the hump and get the momentum back."

Auburn leads Florida 87-70 in the series and will look to end a regular season win drought against the Gators.

Auburn's last regular season win against the Gators was Jan. 16, 1999 in Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum when No. 8 Auburn defeated Florida 88-69.

The Gators are coming off of a 72-69 loss to South Carolina, but have won eight of their last 10 games.

"Florida is a very talented and very experienced team," Barbee said. "They start three seniors for a very talented team with great inside players in Vernon Macklin and Alex Tyus.

"They are very talented inside-outside players, and Chandler Parsons is the other exceptional senior."

Macklin has scored an average of 10.9 points per game with 6.4 rebounds while Parsons adds an average of 10.6 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.7 assists and is shooting 41.9 percent from the three-point range.

"He (Parsons) is a big-time shooter," Barbee said. "He is known for making big shots in crunch time."

The Gators lead the Southeastern Conference in field goal percentage (.469) and is second in scoring defense (61.8), rebound margin (+6.7) and assists (14.7).

Junior guard Erving Walker has proven to be another weapon for the Gators, shooting 44.8 percent from three-point range, ranking third in the SEC.

Walker averages 14.5 points and 3.2 assists per game.

"Walker is a scoring point guard who can create a lot of problems for you because he can get into the lane," Barbee said. "He has a NBA range on his jump shot."

Barbee said he believes the biggest reason for his team's struggles lies within the offense and is looking for players to be more confident and competent.

"Keys for the game are simple: we've got to make the shots," Barbee said. "You're not going to shoot 33 percent on average and be very successful. We want that to be in the 50 percent range or better."

Auburn's stamina will be tested next week as they play three games in six days.

Auburn will face Florida Thursday, followed by Alabama Saturday before traveling to Arkansas Tuesday.

Barbee said he believes this will only benefit his team and his players enjoy the quick turnaround.

"It is always tough, but we are in great condition," Barbee said. "Our guys are mentally and physically strong enough to do that.

"It is just a matter of making sure we are prepared, and we will be."

The game will tip-off at 6 p.m., televised by ESPN.

Share and discuss “Auburn looking to return to winning ways” on social media.