Coach Spry keeps team on track

Ralph Spry spends his afternoons training the track and field team at Wilbur Hutsell track.

This five-mile oval has helped Spry condition Auburn athletes for 14 seasons as head track and field coach.

"Since I was involved in sports throughout college, I knew I wanted to continue my passion for sports through coaching," Spry said.

Spry, who has earned many awards for track and field during his athletic career, spent his college years at Anne Arundel Community College in Maryland, the University of Mississippi and a short stretch at the University of Florida.

During his time as a college athlete, Spry was a four-time NJCAA champion, an eight-time JUCO All-American and was inducted into the NJCAA Track and Field Hall of Fame for his accomplishments.

While enrolled at the Ole Miss, Spry became the first track and field athlete at Ole Miss to receive All-American and national champion status.

He was a two-time NCAA All-American, a three-time All-SEC performer and SEC and NCAA long jump champion.

In 1983 he was ranked fifth in the United States and seventh in the world in the long jump by Track&Field News.

Along with being involved in track and field, Spry was an active member of the Army R.O.T.C and eventually accepted a commission into the U.S. Army after his graduation from the University of Mississippi.

In the U.S. Army, Spry was a member and an assistant coach for the All-Army track and field team.

Spry won five interservice long jump championships and was the World Military long jump champion.

Spry was then invited to participate in the Army's World Class Athletic Training Program.

He chose instead to go to the University of Florida, where he served as a volunteer coach for the track team. During this time, he trained for the Olympic Trials in which he competed in 1988.

After leaving active duty Spry was hired by the University of Florida, followed by the University of South Carolina, as an assistant track and field coach.

Many collegiate athletes excelled under his coaching.

"I chose to coach within the SEC conference because it is the elite conference in the country," Spry said.

This attitude toward the SEC drove Spry to serve as an assistant coach at three different SEC schools before accepting the head coaching position at Auburn University in 1997.

"He's the type of person that is always positive," said Diego Flaquer, assistant track and field coach. "When he gives you an opportunity, you know he believes in you and you give it everything that you can for him.

"He's a great man with great morals and he's always there supporting you. I couldn't ask for a better boss."

When he isn't coaching, Spry enjoys bass fishing, listening to music and working out.

However, his favorite pastime is seeing his team give their best, Spry said.

"I enjoy working with young people and teaching them to have goals," Spry said. "I want to see them involved, graduate and earn a degree."

Spry said he enjoys seeing his athletes excel in both athletics and academics.

"Coach Spry dedicates himself to us," said Harry Adams, junior in sociology. "He's out there every day at practice for countless hours and is so focused on helping us with our starts and our technique. There are a lot of things that make him a good coach."

Share and discuss “Coach Spry keeps team on track” on social media.