Heath Evans Foundation fights abuse

Contributed
Contributed

While New Orleans Saints running back Heath Evans excels at blocking would-be tacklers on the field, he makes his greatest impact tackling the issue of child sexual abuse off it.

In 2006, Evans, who played fullback at Auburn before being selected in the 2001 NFL draft, started the Heath Evans Foundation, an organization dedicated to fostering hope and healing in the lives of children and families affected by sexual abuse.

Childhood sexual abuse is an issue that hits close to home for Evans. After he and his wife, Beth Ann, were married, Evans found out that she had been a victim of sexual abuse as a child.

"Once we were able to walk her through the healing that she wanted and then desired," Evans said, "it was a natural fit just to bring that same hope and healing to other victims who otherwise couldn't afford it or maybe didn't have a voice to speak up about it."

The foundation provides free counseling to victims of childhood sexual abuse and their families in Palm Beach County, Fla., and the Greater New Orleans area.

Evans said his faith is important for him and Beth Ann.

"For me and my wife, it's everything," Evans said. "We do use licensed Christian, professional counselors, but in no way, shape or form is faith ever something that is going to drive a wedge between a victim that needs our help."

The Rev. Chette Williams, board member for the foundation, said Evans' faith and passion for helping others was evident since they first met after Williams became Auburn's team chaplain in 1999.

"I love Heath like a son," Williams said. "When I first got here, Heath was one of the ones that really accepted me and accepted my ministry. Normally, I take people alongside of me, but he really took me alongside of him."

The foundation also hosts charity events, such as softball games or the annual 7-on-7 tournament, that not only raise money, but also awareness of childhood sexual abuse.

"It's one of those issues that affects everyone," Evans said. "Every city, every town, every color of skin, every financial makeup, rich, poor, white, black: it doesn't matter, this issue affects everybody."

Childhood sexual abuse isn't rare, as researchers estimate one out of four women and one out of six men are sexually abused before the age of 18.

"People need to know that they're not the only ones," Evans said. "Our biggest area of concern is that will we ever get enough awareness out there to drive people to cry out for help because that's really the issue."

The foundation will host the second annual Heath Evans Softball Showdown May 17 at Zephyr Field in Metairie, La., the home of minor league baseball's New Orleans Zephyrs.

The game will pit the Saints offense, captained by quarterback Drew Brees, against the defense, captained by linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

For more information, visit the foundation's website, www.heathevans.org.

Share and discuss “Heath Evans Foundation fights abuse” on social media.