Auburn fans are 'All In,' players show it in game

Linebacker Eltoro Freeman and defensive end Nosa Eguae take down Mississippi State quarterback Chris Relf. (Maria Iampietro / PHOTO EDITOR)

Do you know why cowbells couldn't be heard clanging at the game Saturday?

For starters, everyone was partially deaf by halftime. Jordan-Hare was so loud it wouldn't surprise me if people in Montgomery heard the cheers.

Being loud was the challenge to students from Gene Chizik last Thursday at the pep rally. I think his quote in the pregame video fits the fans' performance Saturday.

"I will say it again," Chizik says. "It's not kind of, sort of, almost ... you are the best fans in the United States of America."

Everything about Auburn's victory over Mississippi State defined family. Not only was there teamwork on the field, there was support all around, especially from those decked out in "True Blue" in the stands.

And as players stood on the brick wall by the student section after the game, it showed that the Auburn family can overcome anything.

Ladies and gentlemen, believe it or not, Auburn is 2-0 and still has the longest winning streak in the country.

The turnaround the Tigers made from the first game to the second is almost surreal.

Establishing a smart running game that avoided State's defensive line and produced 235 yards--157 of which were from Michael Dyer--was a key to the victory.

Barrett Trotter made his first big mistake of the season with a pick-6, yet he was still 16-23 with 146 yards and two touchdowns. He's established himself as a capable quarterback and leader already, and that's what will take Auburn to the next level.

I also think we've found this year's go-to receiver in Emory Blake. He has 203 yards on 10 receptions and two touchdowns this year, and he's scored a touchdown in his last five games.

Lastly, special teams continued its dominance. Tre Mason racked up 179 yards on seven kickoff returns, Cody Parkey forced four touchbacks on kickoffs, and Steven Clark averaged 45.7 yards a punt.

I think the only thing allowing us to sleep at night is that Auburn has actually won both games thus far, the second thanks to the defense.

I'm still trying to figure out how Ryan Smith dropped Bulldogs quarterback Chris Relf before he reached the end zone, especially since MSU rushed for 333 yards during the game.

And that's where the problem remains on defense.

Yes, they stepped up and made plays and returned an interception for a score. However, most games when a defense allows 531 yards, it's a loss. Not Sept. 10, though, not in Auburn.

I know I said it may be a long season, but things are looking up. A win this weekend will ultimately put Auburn at 4-0 to finish September. That would be huge as the Tigers make their way down the stretch.

Share and discuss “Auburn fans are 'All In,' players show it in game” on social media.