Your View: Breast cancer awareness over-funded, publicized

Breast cancer is way, way over-advertised.

Before anyone goes and says that's opinion, I've researched this a ridiculous amount over the years because it's always kinda bugged me that everyone seems to put so much emphasis on one type of cancer. And I did go back and do the research for the most recent statistics, so everything I've got to say is fact.

Breast cancer is, in fact, the No. 1-diagnosed cancer in women, but right on its tail is lung cancer. Also, the mortality rate of breast cancer is one of the lowest. Only 16 percent of people diagnosed with breast cancer actually die from it. In a list of the top cancers, breast cancer has one of the lowest mortality rates.

People should be more aware of lung cancer, pancreatic cancer and leukemia. More than half--70 percent--of the people diagnosed with lung cancer died from it. An unbelievable 84 percent of those diagnosed with pancreatic cancer died, and about 50 percent of those with leukemia died.

The really sad thing is breast cancer raises more money than all of these cancers combined. People are putting their money into something that is not nearly as deadly as other cancers, and which already has way more funding than it needs. It is a common cancer, but not much more-so than lung cancer, which causes many more deaths.

Because it's so advertised, people think, "Oh wow, since so many people are trying to raise money for it, and an entire month is dedicated to it, I should probably donate to this cause."

This is not to make light of breast cancer, because I've known people that have had it, and most of my friends know someone who's had it, and any kind of cancer is truly terrible. I only want to put it in perspective. There are many far deadlier cancers that need funding more than "the pink."

I hope that people will perhaps learn about such things before they blindly donate to a cause that's already over-funded.

Kelly Tsaltas

sophomore, psychology

Share and discuss “Your View: Breast cancer awareness over-funded, publicized” on social media.