A compassionate government needed to fill gap in charity

We've been talking a lot in the office lately about capitalism and the freedom to make money.

Conversations have taken place about topics ranging from the Occupy movement worldwide to the expansion of higher-income housing right here in Auburn. We've run columns that discuss the idea of the right to wealth. We spend time chatting at work about the ongoing recession and its implications.

It's all got me thinking, but not about how we can all hang onto our money. Rather, I've started thinking about how we, as Americans, can give it away.

I think we live in a culture nowadays that is forgetting the importance of compassion and social responsibility.

Everywhere I go, I hear talk about how one group or another has it in for honest people who just want to hang onto their hard-earned wealth. While I certainly believe in every man's right to work hard and accumulate money, I also firmly believe in every man's responsibility to use that money compassionately, for the good of his neighbor as well as for the good of himself.

It's tough times out there--I think we can all agree on that. But I would like to believe that we can still operate in a society where we are happy to help out those who are less fortunate by giving to charity on any societal level.

I know that we're still in school and don't have anything to give away yet. However, the very fact that we are here provides us with the potential for great financial opportunity one day, and therefore great opportunity to help improve other people's lives.

I think that instead of complaining about how we wish the government would get its hands out of our pockets, we--if we are able--could put our own hands in our pockets and start helping people out ourselves.

I've heard the counterargument several times that people who don't have jobs or didn't go to college either didn't try hard enough, screwed up somewhere, or decided to get a degree in a "useless" subject.

This is where my idea of compassion comes into play. I think the entire concept of compassion is unconditional--that true compassion inspires generosity toward all less fortunate people, regardless of how we may imagine they fell into their current circumstances.

Having said all this, I can imagine what you're thinking, so I'll go ahead and conclude by saying: yes, I do believe in a government that takes care of the needs of the little people--because honestly, it often seems like the big people out there aren't willing to do it.

Share and discuss “A compassionate government needed to fill gap in charity” on social media.