Pat Sullivan to be honored in pregame celebration

Before Samford coach Pat Sullivan sics his Bulldogs on the Tigers in Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday, he will be honored by the same family on the same field where he first made a name for himself as an Auburn football star beginning in 1969.

"It's very humbling," Sullivan said, "It's forever, what you get out of athletics. The relationships last for a lifetime."

The pregame celebration will devote a half hour to recognizing the Auburn legend's accomplishments and commemorating the 40-year anniversary of his 1971 Heisman Trophy achievement.

"What they're going to do, I think, is a little recognition about 25 minutes before the game and have my teammates from Auburn, and I'm going to bring our Samford team out," Sullivan said.

Before the names Bo Jackson or Cam Newton had any meaning to the University, Sullivan was a dominating force that set the standard for Auburn football.

In addition to winning the Heisman his senior year, Sullivan was named SEC Player of the Year and achieved All-American honors in 1970 and 1971. He finished his collegiate quarterback career with 6,284 passing yards and was responsible for 71 total touchdowns, then an NCAA record.

The former Tiger is also a member of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame.

"We are thrilled to have the chance to honor Pat Sullivan on the 40th anniversary of his Heisman Trophy," Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said.

"Coach Sullivan is and will always be an Auburn football legend, but more importantly he is a class act with the utmost character and integrity.

"Recognizing coach Sullivan along with many of the players from his era will be a special moment for the entire Auburn family."

Saturday will be more than just a gameday for Sullivan, as he eagerly awaits a reunion with old friends and family.

"My family will be there, so that will be very special," Sullivan said. "My grandkids will go back, and that's something they've never experienced.

"My wife and I have had an awful lot of fond memories with the people there at Auburn. They've all been special to me, so it'll be great to go back."

For Sullivan, only one thing will be missing from the 11:25 a.m. celebration.

"The one person that won't be there will be my dad, and I'll certainly miss him," Sullivan said.

Saturday will bring an unusual mood for Homecoming, as Auburn welcomes a gameday opponent with open arms.

"Obviously everybody knows what a phenomenal football player he was here and what he did for Auburn University," said coach Gene Chizik.

"Let me go on the record for saying what a phenomenal man he is. He is a great Auburn man. What he did for this University and what he means to the fans, what he means to this University, I'm thrilled for him to be celebrated in this way.

"It's (Samford's) last game of the season, and he's playing it here at his alma mater. I'm just excited for him because there's nobody that deserves it more.

"It'll be a great day for him and his family. I know a lot of his teammates. A lot of those former guys will be coming back. It will be a great celebration for them. It doesn't get any better than that. It couldn't happen to a better guy."

Despite the heartwarming event, Sullivan will remember what his purpose is in Jordan-Hare: earning a win for his Samford Bulldogs.

"I want it to be business as ususal and want to try and do everything I can to help our football team be the best they can be," Sullivan said.

Share and discuss “Pat Sullivan to be honored in pregame celebration” on social media.