Auburn career fair coming Tuesday

The Auburn University Career Center will be hosting a Career Expo next week on Tuesday and Thursday from 3-7 p.m. at the Auburn Hotel and Conference Center.

The Tuesday session will feature companies related to engineering and technical majors, and Thursday's will be for all majors. There are no restrictions concerning which day job seekers can attend, however.

"Students can come to both events, it's not restricted by major, it's just how we split up the companies," said Nancy Bernard, director of the Career Center.

There will be 93 companies attending the Tuesday session and about 44 Thursday, she said.

While the conference will feature numerous local companies, there will also be large companies, such as AT&T, BMW, Dillard's and GE Energy.

Bernard said the expo provides both students and alumni with an opportunity to explore career options and apply for jobs. However, the primary reward is the opportunity to make connections.

"The main thing students need to remember about this is that it's a networking opportunity, and it's a way to get their information out to a lot of employers at one time ... when employers come to them," Bernard said.

For those attending, successfully interviewing with potential employers relies on being prepared and direct, Bernard said.

Students and alumni should bring copies of their resume, dress professionally and treat it like the job interview that it is, she said.

A good first impression can help, too.

"They need to have a 30 second 'elevator speech,'" Bernard said. "Then, when they introduce themselves to the company, they can give them a quick overview of their qualifications and how it relates to the company."

In addition, Bernard suggests researching the various companies prior to the conference and points to the Career Center website as a valuable resource.

"Students should research the companies to see who's going to be there, it's all online at ... auburn.edu/career," Bernard said. "Go on our website and see who's going to be there, what majors they're looking for, the jobs and links to their websites."

Whether graduating or graduated, the expo will provide attendees with the opportunity for employers to come to them.

Even those not close to graduating and not searching for a full-time job should take advantage of it, Bernard said.

"It's still a good thing to come to just to get a feel for what employers are looking for, who's there, how the students are interacting ... so when they do get to that point then they'll be a little bit more comfortable," Bernard said.

While the companies are providing this opportunity, it is still up to their prospects to get their attention.

"You don't need to have tons of work experience or tons of leadership experience, but you need to have some combination of that, Bernard said. "You need to summarize real quick how your qualifications can benefit them."

The companies are actively seeking employees and interns with skills that meet their needs, but students must show them their dedication before they get hired, according to Bernard.

"It's up to the student to follow up and really pursue the companies they're interested in," Bernard said.

Share and discuss “Auburn career fair coming Tuesday” on social media.