UPC utilizes budget for variety of campus events

University Program Council works with this year's budget increase of $31,107 to create diverse activities for Auburn students.

UPC received $771,122.03 from SGA's Student Activity Project budget this year, the largest allotment of any student organization.

"Our mission is to provide an engaging atmosphere that enhances the Auburn experience by programming events planned, organized and executed by students for students," said Anne Smead, UPC president and senior in public administration.

UPC offers a variety of events including skill-building workshops, comedy shows, movies on campus and musical acts.

UPC events are categorized and organized by the committee they fall under.

"The programming committees are Films, Fine Arts, Major Entertainment, Speakers and Comedians, Special Projects and Tiger Nights," Smead said. "The support committees include Publicity, Public Relations, Technical Productions, Research and Evaluation and Volunteers.

"The programming committees plan a variety of events that range from smaller to larger scale events in order to meet the diverse needs of Auburn students."

UPC's smaller events, like Open Mic Night, usually cost around $300 for the use of the venue and refreshments.

"We typically have anywhere from 75-125 people at these events," Smead said. "One of our most popular smaller events are cooking workshops, which allow students to have hands-on cooking and preparation experience from a chef.

"These workshops cost around $600 for the venue, graduate adviser, chef and materials."

UPC's larger events are concerts, Tiger Nights and comedy shows. The concerts and comedy shows usually vary in price depending on the artist fee, Smead said.

"We have brought in talent before that costs anywhere from $10,000 to $100,000 for musical acts," Smead said. "Comedians can cost anywhere from a few thousand up to $10,000 for really well-known artists."

Smead said last fall's headlining artist, Girl Talk, had fees totaling $115,000.

"The rental of the Auburn Arena, security costs, EMTs, AUHD, hospitality areas, venue cleaning and staging cost around $25,000," Smead said. "The sound, lighting and labor costs totaled around $12,000. Hospitality costs totaled at just over $4,000 to feed all artist per rider requirements."

Tiger Nights usually cost around $35,000, but include everything from police, food and vendors to inflatables, giveaways, entertainment and facilities.

"These larger scale events have the ability for lots of students to take advantage of the entertainment," Smead said.

UPC's budget covers the costs of its events, so the group doesn't raise funds to host them.

"We try to offer free events for students to enjoy," Smead said.

The top three executive officers--the president, vice president and treasurer--are paid out of the budget.

"There is a pay scale that is set by the University," Smead said. "SGA doesn't go by it because they added an officer."

If any money is left over at the end of the year, UPC reports it to SGA's Budget and Finance Committee.

"Our understanding is that it goes into a reserve fund to be used as needed for future programs and events to benefit Auburn students," Smead said.

"Our goal is to further develop the leadership skills of the students that are a part of our organization and provide opportunities for other students to enjoy the events that they plan."

Share and discuss “UPC utilizes budget for variety of campus events” on social media.