Nights, Camera, Action all summer

Auburn Parks and Recreation Department's first Outdoor Summer Movie Series began June 22 with "Hugo" and will continue to show films all summer long.

The movies will be shown at baseball field 1 at Duck Samford Park with the exception of two Float-N-Movies which will be shown at the park's pool.

All of the movies will begin at 8:30 p.m. on Fridays, and they're available for free to the public.

"They set everything up very well. The picture was great, and the volume was perfect," said Emily Ansick, local mother.

So far the event has attracted a lot of visitors, some more welcome than others.

"Everything went well besides the bugs," Ansick said with a laugh, "Make sure to bring bug spray."

The Summer Movie Series were supposed to begin on June 15, but because of a scheduling conflict with the Annual Summer Night event in downtown Auburn, it was pushed back a week. Most of the movies will be two weeks apart.

The series recently showed "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" on June 29 to celebrate the movie's 30th anniversary.

Local resident and parent Kevin Kelly said that the nostalgia of classic movies shown in old-fashioned, somewhat drive-in style is as much fun for parents as it is for their children.

"I took my three kids to see E.T. on Friday," Kelly said. "We don't have drive-in theaters here, so it's nice to still be able to see movies outside.

The Outdoor Summer Movie Series was created to replicate a family-oriented community gathering such as a drive-in theater, according to Alison Hall, employee of and organizer for the Parks and Recreation Department.

"We've wanted to try doing this for several years now," Hall said. "We're really happy about getting it started."

Auburn Parks and Recreation plans on making this an annual summer event, but emphasizes that the movies are not just for parents and young children.

"We really wanted to choose movies that would be attractive to everyone," Hall said. "We want to encourage everyone to come out and watch the films."

"Apollo 13" will be shown on Friday July 13, and "Shark Tale" will be at Samford Pool the following July 20. The series will continue on July 27 with "Back to the Future" at Duck Samford Park.

After "Back to the Future," the series takes a three week break until the second day of classes for the fall semester at on August 18.

The movie list is distributed evenly for all ages, according to Hall.

"Whether you're a parent and want to bring your kids, or a college guy and want to bring a girl to a free movie, come on out," Hall said. "Be sure to take a picnic blanket or your favorite tailgate chair though."

There is one exception, however.

On Saturday, August 18, the series will show the 1975 Steven Spielberg blockbuster film "Jaws" as one of the Float-N- Movies at the Samford Pool at 8:30 p.m. for anyone who is age 19 and older.

The age limit has been imposed due to the graphic nature of this classic film.

While movie admission for the special summer event will remain free, residents looking to enhance their viewing experience are encouraged to pay the $2 entry fee to Samford Pool and watch "Jaws" while taking a night swim.

The series will conclude after Spielberg's thriller, but there are still four movies remaining until then.

For some residents such as Kelly, every remaining viewing is a must-see event if only for the atmosphere.

"It's a great experience," Kelly said. "We plan on going to all the rest of the movies."

Share and discuss “Nights, Camera, Action all summer” on social media.