Spectrum raises $1,530 through What-a-Drag! event

Sky A performs Nickleback's "Rockstar" with a Guitar Hero controller at this year's What-a-Drag! event Friday, March 1. (Raye May / PHOTO EDITOR)

Glitz, glam and gams shined bright like a diamond at Auburn Spectrum's What-A-Drag! event hosted Saturday, March 2.

Spectrum acts as a campus political, social, educational and support group for the LGBTQ community and its allies. Spectrum hosts weekly meetings, which range from the educational, political and social, such as the yearly What-A-Drag! fundraiser.

What-A-Drag! is an event established five years ago in order to raise awareness about the transgender community and money for related charities. The term "transgender" is an umbrella term that encompasses anyone who is non-gender-conforming (e.g. transsexual, bigender, agender, genderqueer, genderfluid, etc).

Tickets for What-A-Drag! were $5. Half of the admission goes to Spectrum to cover administrative costs, and the other half (along with any tips given to performers) will be donated to the scholarship fund of the Southern Comfort Conference, an annual transgender conference.

The showstopping performances throughout the night were Broadway worthy, complete with an opening version of the Star Spangled Banner (Whitney Houston style), purple wigs, skin-tight dresses and neon makeup anyone could see miles away. The 24 song set list ranged from modern-day hits such as Maroon 5's One More Night, Lady Gaga's Born This Way to an old-school, electrified delivery of Dude Looks Like a Lady by Aerosmith.

In staying true to Spectrum's adage, the show was closed with a moving rendition of Seasons of Love, a classic from the best-selling Broadway musical, RENT. Throughout the song, one could feel the efforts for acceptance and equality, including the united front that Spectrum strives for daily.

When asked how it felt to be crowned King, performer Butch Cassidy (stage name) explained that she was overwhelmed.

"It means so much to finally win this year. I am proud to embrace who I am, not just for myself but for my community and Spectrum, as well."

As for the newly crowned Queen, who wishes to remain anonymous due to personal reasons, was feeling the same sentiments as Butch stating, "I got up there and did my thing. I wish to remain anonymous out of respect for my family; however, I am proud to walk that stage and embrace who I am. I hope it is an inspiration for all my struggling brothers and sisters."

With more than 240 in attendance, Spectrum will donate $1,530 to the Scholarship Program of the Southern Comfort Transgender Conference.

Share and discuss “Spectrum raises $1,530 through What-a-Drag! event” on social media.