Auburn is looking to gain back SEC respect against Mississippi State

Last week's win against Arkansas State was a good win for the Tigers, but more improvement is still necessary.
The good news for Auburn fans is improvements are being made.
Auburn finished with 301 yards rushing against Arkansas State, which was slightly more than week one's rushing total of 297 yards.
However, in the second game, the ground game was more solid.
All three running backs got involved, and Cameron Artis-Payne was better at getting the tough yards between the tackles.
Nick Marshall is still a work in progress, but he played better in game two, going 10-for-17 for 167 yards with two touchdown passes and 65 yards rushing.
He looked more comfortable, but he still needs to make quicker passing decisions, because the game is only going to get faster as Auburn transitions into SEC play.
The biggest factor for Marshall is he still has not thrown an interception. This trend needs to continue.
Defensively, Auburn still has a lot of holes, but against Arkansas State they showed more fight than an Auburn defense has shown in a long time.
Stopping the Red Wolves three times on fourth down was nice to see, especially against a team that runs the ball well.
Further, not allowing any touchdowns and forcing Arkansas State to only score field goals was a big defensive improvement.
This defense still has a long way to go, but improvements are being made and they need to continue to be made.
Now it's time for Mississippi State.
This is an important game for Auburn, and it has been for a few years.
Auburn will be looking to snap a 10-game losing streak against SEC opponents this week.
Also, this is a game that will determine the ceiling for this year's team.
Because Auburn has many games this season it's considered underdogs in, Auburn needs to win both favored games, and toss up games against teams such as Mississippi State.
Auburn also has the revenge factor working in its favor.
Last season, Mississippi State embarrassed the Tigers, and gave a glimpse into how bad the 2012 season was going to be. This season, Auburn will be looking to get revenge on the Bulldogs and kick the SEC season off right.
A big factor for Mississippi State is the playing status of their quarterback Tyler Russell. He suffered a concussion in week one against Oklahoma State, and did not play last week against Alcorn State.
Russell torched Auburn's defense last year, throwing for 222 yards and three touchdowns. If Auburn does not find a way to contain him this year, it will be a long day for the Tigers' defense.
Replacing Russell last week was freshman Dak Prescott who went 12-for-19 for 174 yards in the 51-7 victory against Alcorn State. Prescott is a solid quarterback, but Russell will be much tougher to defend.
This game is a tough one to predict, but home-field advantage should work in Auburn's favor.
If Auburn wants to walk away with a victory, the run game will need to be effective, and turnovers on the defensive side of the ball will help out as well.
This game will be a close, physical, game that could be decided late in the fourth quarter.
Auburn wins this game 24-20, but it will be a tough victory.
Auburn's defense must make big plays because the offense does not have enough firepower to take control of a game yet.
Revenge will be a big motivator because Auburn wants its respect back in the SEC, and this week will be a good first step on the journey back up the SEC ladder.

Share and discuss “Auburn is looking to gain back SEC respect against Mississippi State” on social media.