Auburn women’s tennis earns SEC tournament victory

Pleun Burgmans (Contributed by Auburn Athletics)

Auburn’s women’s tennis team, ranked 12th for SEC tournament purposes, defeated the 13th seed Tennessee Volunteers Wednesday, April 15, in Columbia, South Carolina.

The Tigers, who beat the Vols 4-0 at home in the regular season, won 4-3 in their first match of the SEC tournament.

The doubles point went to Auburn after victories on courts two and three. Juniors Michala Kucharova and Paula de Man won 8-4 as a second court pairning for the Tigers. Senior Jen Pfeifler and sophomore Reka Muller won on court three by a score of 8-2.

Junior Pleun Burgmans played Tennessee’s Joanna Henderson in a rematch of the split set match that was left unfinished earlier in the season. Unlike the first meeting that saw Burgmans taking the first set, she fell 3-6 before winning the second and third sets 6-4, 6-2.

Senior Emily Flickenger lost on court two 6-1, 7-6 to the Vols’ Eve Repic. Repic lost to freshman Andie Dikosavljevic earlier in the season. Dikosavljevic played court three in this meeting and was unable to win as she was bested 7-6 4-6 6-3 by Tennessee’s Caitlyn Williams.

After a loss of 7-6 7-5 on court four by Muller, the Tigers needed wins on court five and six to end victorious. De Man won 6-3 6-4 on five, and on six Pfeifler won 6-2 6-0.

The Tigers are set to play the fifth ranked Alabama Crimson Tide Thursday, April 16th. Auburn is looking for a better result as last time the Tigers face the Tide, they lost 4-0.

Share and discuss “Auburn women’s tennis earns SEC tournament victory” on social media.