Auburn remains undefeated in final game of home stand

<p>Ashton Brock (10) sprints towards the ball during the Tigers match against Furman University at the Auburn Soccer Complex on Sunday, Aug. 30.</p>

Ashton Brock (10) sprints towards the ball during the Tigers match against Furman University at the Auburn Soccer Complex on Sunday, Aug. 30.

Scores of Auburn fans made their way to the Auburn Soccer Complex Sunday afternoon to witness their No. 11 ranked Tigers extend their undefeated streak to 6, as Auburn took the fourth game of its home stand with a 1-0 win over the Old Dominion Monarchs.

The one day of rest following an exhausting but victorious Friday night win over an aggressive Samford Bulldog team gave the Tigers (6-0-0) the rejuvenation they needed to continue their win streak. 

“I wouldn’t be surprised if they ran 10 miles or more [Friday night],” said head coach Karen Hoppa.

Defense owned the match in the first half with five shots for Auburn and one save. The Tigers held Old Dominion to two shots until play was suspended in the 28th minute by a lightning delay.

“Obviously we spent a ton of energy in these two games,” Hoppa said. “We had two quality opponents, recovery is going to be important and focus is going to be important.”

In the 29th minute, one minute after play resumed, midfielder Courtney Schell headed the ball off an assist from Brooke Ramsier to give Auburn a 1-0 lead over the Monarchs.

“This game was super important to us. Friday didn’t even matter if we didn’t come in and win today. We were pumped to come out here,” Schell said. “After that first goal we just kept strong and didn’t let them score.”

The lone goal for the Tigers was Schell’s first in her 2015 campaign.

Auburn will open up SEC play this weekend when the team travels to Missouri on Friday for a showdown between the two Tiger teams.

Practice begins Tuesday, and "everyone's record is 0-0 going into SEC," Hoppa said. “We’ve got to have focus, we’ve got to have recovery. We’ve got to get better for Friday night.”

Share and discuss “Auburn remains undefeated in final game of home stand” on social media.