Choose what you love, but choose wisely

Juggling school with extracurriculars, a social life, sleep and always-necessary relaxation time is hard, everybody knows that. 

Unfortunately, people tend to stretch themselves too far, forsaking something they need or want to do so they can cram as many clubs, opportunities and resume builders into their day as possible. It's unhealthy and something that happens daily all over campus. It's as if the word leisure has disappeared from students' lexicons. 

What worries me the most is people who do not even enjoy half of the groups they participate in, they just do it because they believe it looks good on their resume and makes them seem more attractive to employers. 

College is a time for exploration, yes, but at some point, you should stick with groups you enjoy so you can cement lasting friendships. Not everything needs to be a networking opportunity.

On the flip side, not every organization you join will be fun and games. Some things will be hard work, but if you love it, that work will be well worth it. 

Though it is important to have a strong resume in today's competitive world, it is more important to participate in activities you love, not things that feel like a chore. Be selective. Don't sign up for everything that piques your interest, just the things you believe you can contribute meaningfully to. Remember, you only have 24 hours in a day, and you have to sleep, go to class and study sometime. 

Pick a few activities that look good on a resume and some that are just for fun, but don't over-reach. Set aside some time to sleep, relax and enjoy time with friends. Have some fun in these college years, and love what you do.

A resume can only be so long anyway, so fill it with organizations that really mean something to you.

Share and discuss “Choose what you love, but choose wisely” on social media.