Women's tennis picks up two wins Saturday

The Auburn women's tennis team swept the Troy Trojans, 7-0, and UT Martin, 4-0, Saturday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.

Seniors Pleun Burgmans and Paula de Man led the Tigers with two wins in doubles, defeating Hitomi Naito and Burcu Tari, 6-2, and Efriliya Herlina and Alicia Rodriguez, 6-0.

"Today was a solid day of tennis for us," said Auburn coach Lauren Spencer. "I was really impressed with how well we focused against two scrappy teams. I thought we came out with a great attitude and took care of business in doubles during both matches."

Andie Dikosavljevic and Alannah Griffin remained undefeated in doubles, notching two more wins. The duo seized the first match, 6-1, and battled from behind in the second to clinch the doubles point for Auburn, 6-4.

Burgmans blazed the trail in singles for Auburn with two wins, defeating Naito, 6-1, 6-0, in the first match. She followed up by defeating Hannah Seizer, 6-2, 6-1.

"We also did a great job of competing in singles when Troy challenged us early," Spencer said. "We will have a quick turnaround with the 9 a.m. start tomorrow, and hopefully we can come out focused and ready to play."

The Tigers return to action Sunday against Texas State in two more matches beginning at 9 a.m. Auburn will then face Alabama A&M at 1 p.m., with both matches being held at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.

Share and discuss “Women's tennis picks up two wins Saturday” on social media.