Women's tennis defeats LSU, gets third win against top 15 team

The Auburn women's tennis team came out strong Saturday to pick up another win against a top 15 team, this time defeating No. 9 LSU in Auburn, 4-1.

Auburn battled from behind to snag the doubles point, with Pleun Burgmans and Alizee Michaud taking a 6-4 win over Joana Vale Costa and Ryann Foster. Paula de Man and Andie Dikosavljevic clinched the point for the Tigers after a thrilling 7-5 win.

"Pleun and Andie are playing so well right now," said Auburn coach Lauren Spencer. "It was good to see them get two wins against ranked opponents."

In singles, No. 32 Dikosavljevic defeated No. 20 Vale Costa 6-1, 6-4 to advance to 10-2 in the dual match season. Burgmans improved to 12-0 in the dual match season after defeating No. 46 Jessica Golovin 6-2, 6-3. Burgmans's 174 career wins has her 11 wins out from holding the title of Auburn's all-time leader in combined singles and doubles victories.

Coach Spencer was "especially proud" of freshman Caroline Turner, who clinched the match for the Tigers with her first SEC victory, besting Ella Taylor 6-3, 6-2.

"I think we came out strong from the very beginning with our doubles," Spencer said. "LSU is a really good team and we came out swinging from the very beginning. The last two weeks have given us a lot of confidence."

No. 29 Auburn will travel to Knoxville, Tennessee, Thursday to face No. 54 Tennessee and then move on to Athens, Georgia, for another SEC faceoff against No. 7 Georgia.

Share and discuss “Women's tennis defeats LSU, gets third win against top 15 team” on social media.