EDITORIAL: We need to talk about sexual assault

Sexual assault, a topic of much discussion in recent weeks, is a rampant issue on college campuses.

One in four women will be sexually assaulted while in college, according to a Bureau of Justice Statistics report and, in a Post-Kaiser poll, one in 20 men said they were sexually assaulted while in college.

As a student, and as a human, you need to understand that this issue affects everyone. When you ignore it, you're contributing to ignorance and exacerbating the problem.

The facts:

• Title IX is a portion of the United States Education Amendments of 1972 which states "no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance." Sexual harassment, including sexual violence, interferes with students' right to receive a discrimination-free education and is included in Title IX.
  • Consent can be communicated verbally or by actions, but in whatever way consent is communicated, it must be mutually understandable, according to the Auburn Title IX Policy and Procedures for Student Sex Discrimination.
  • Things to know about consent: Consent to one form of sexual activity does not imply consent to other forms of sexual activity, previous consent does not imply consent to future sexual acts and consent cannot be given by people who are incapacitated as a result of drugs or alcohol.

If it happens to you:

• It's not your fault — no matter what you were wearing or drinking, where you were going or with whom you were going.
  • See a healthcare provider as soon as you can. If possible, don't shower or change clothes before your exam. The Auburn University Medical Clinic doesn't conduct rape exams. East Alabama Medical Center, located at 2000 Pepperell Parkway, is an option. 
  • Safe Harbor provides information and advice about medical and legal services, assistance in scheduling a counseling appointment, referral for judicial sanctions, Auburn University academic accommodations and crime reporting. To reach a Safe Harbor advocate, call 334-844-7233.

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL: We need to talk about sexual assault ” on social media.